Windows Installer-"Error 1325 - 'Documents' is not a valid short file name"; after upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, can't load new software. ____

After an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, everything on the system seemed to work fine; until I tried to re-install any removed software or install new software.  As soon as Windows Installer starts the following error appears: "Error 1325 - 'Documents' is not a valid short file name". 

Could this have something to do with with the new Security Permissions MSFT inserts onto folders (along with padlocks) during an upgrade along with the hidden linked Junctions per User vs per System?   

I tried installing Lenovo System Update and MSFT's own Windows Installer Clean Up in the hopes the software would help alleviate my issues; see below link on advice from MSFT on the same error.

http://support.microsoft.com/%2Fkb%2F328162

Unfortunately, I can not even load the software MSFT previously recommended to solve this error.  I also tried installing the software as "Run as Administrator" and in "Safe Mode".  Even though I could not load the recommended MSFT software, I was able to install Apple iTunes through Apple Software Update, I assume they do not use the Windows Installer.

With the new Junction structure there are multiple  folders or links of the same folder throughout file system, so if this is a Folder Permission issue which specific folders/links do I need to remove the restrictions? 

Any help would be much appreciated, otherwise I will need to do a Clean Install and re-install every piece of software individually... Thanks.
Answer
Answer

I have managed to fix this issue, however it means changing the System Registry permissions.

I had three/many applications that this was happening to in Windows 7:

Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3, O2 Data Connection Manager, Adobe Master Collection CS5.

I found the problem to be user access rights to change/update specific registry files

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\

"if you drill into an entry >E2345E456EB778B44C000\234134E756765EEE6574CC654D\ And try and view it you get access denied, I fouind once I changed ownership to and account in the Administrator group it was a file directly associated with the Adobe installer."

So I set about changing the permissions of all the containers that I didn't have access to:

in Components I searched for the application, but after about 15 entries for Adobe I changed the access rights for the whole registry tree. You may just want to change the individual entries though by following the...

I created a local Admin Account and Logged in as that MYPCNAME\Admin in the MYPCNAME\Administrators Group

1.      Right click Components and export it to a file

2.      Right click Components and select permissions

3.      Click the [Advanced] button at the bottom

4.      Select ‘Administrators’ click [ ] replace all child… then click [Edit] click [OK] and then [Apply]. If you get an error can’t do it, I found that if you go to the [effective permission] tab, [select] Administrators and then go to the [Owner] tab, select Administrators [ ] Replace owner on sub containers and objects, clicked [Apply] got an error, went back to [Permissions] tab, I could then do the permissions; Select ‘Administrators’ click [ ] replace all child… then click [Edit] click [OK] and then [Apply].

5.      [OK]

6.      [OK]

7.      Then installed Acrobat Reader and other programs successfully.

Mark Masiak Infologic.uk.com
Tx
Mark

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I think I found the solution for this one Mark, as I just encountered the same problem in our environment and here is what I did to resolve it:

- Create proper top-level permissions at the root of the folder redirection (eg \\servername\mydocredirfolder) : Grant Authenticated Users the following permissions and apply it to "this folder only" ALLOW : List folders/read data, read permissions, read attributes, read extended attributes, create folders / append data

I believe that the MSI is trying to read the free disk space from the server but it can't because it's trying to access the folder above where your my documents redirection is sitting.

Good luck!

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 25, 2020 Views 70,735 Applies to: