Windows Explorer navigation pane changing position when viewing sub directories

Try this and then offer suggestion. Open Windows Explorer and open up enough drives and or directories to completely fill the nav pane. Now view a directory at the bottom of the list and make sure it has a sub-directory. Click the plus to view the sub-directory and bam, the focus goes to the top of the nav pane when we clearly are working at the bottom of the list. This is very annoying. I mentioned this during the testing phase of Win7 more than three times and no body listened. I may look for an Explorer replacement if some of the issues with it arent fixed. And to think there was nothing wrong with Windows Explorer and it didnt need to be refined, repaired,  fixed, or anything but Microsoft just had to fool with it and make it totally dis-functional. The search is all screwed up too. You cant right click, search a directory anymore. Not happy with this OPSYS and still believe it was released pre-maturely.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ok, tried it, using Home Premium. 

You say click the plus - there are no plusses.  What are you using?

What happens here is that when the folder expanded is at the bottom it moves up enough for the subfolders to show.  If there is more than a window-full of subfolders, the folder moves to the top. 

The focus remains wherever it was before starting this exercise.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mr. Wlmitty and whoever cares,

I have this scrolling problem too. This is one of the first thing I noticed after upgrading from Vista Home Premium. I use Windows Explorer a lot, a really lot. This does annoy me and I would really like a fix. F. Sexton below obviously does not understand what we mean so I will try to reiterate the issue:

On a busy drive, go to the bottom of the folder pane and open a busy folder by double-clicking it's name in the pane. All the sub-folders will scroll off the bottom of the pane rather than move to the top of the pane as Vista Explorer did/does. I have a laptop with Vista right next to me and I verified that it's Explorer does in fact move the working directory UP from the bottom to the top of the pane and shows as many of the sub-folders as will fit.

BTW, by "plus" we mean the right arrow next to the folder name, i.e. it used to be plus and is now an arrow. Now if you single-click the arrow and open the folder that way, the pane works as expected - it moves the folder of interest up enough to display the sub-folders.

With Windows 7 Explorer, I use the single-click option to open folders, and I have to scroll the screen some amount of extra times to see the sub-folders that I want to work with. This is counter-productive if you ask me.

I will actually go so far as to put this problem at the top of my "Hate List" right here and now. I am building one, oh yes, I am building a good "Hate List" already. Sorry to say it's getting as long as my "Like List" too.

CorkyNM

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have also this issue with Windows 7 Ultimate. It is very annoying as windows explorer is the main tool to scroll hard drive, folders and files. I have never seen this problem with windows Vista or even XP.

I used to double click to expand subdirectories of a folder into the naviguation pane of windows explorer. Very often when I double-click on a directory, it is already displayed at the bottom of the pane so that subdirectories are not visible.

For example :

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Top of the naviguation pane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>drive R
>drive S
>drive T
>drive U
  |
  > folder A
  > folder B
  > folder C
  > folder D
  > folder E
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bottom of the naviguation pane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After I have double- clicked on the folder C to expand subdirectories into this folder , here what is displayed :

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Top of the naviguation pane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>drive O
>drive P
>drive Q
>drive R
>drive S
>drive T
>drive U
  > folder A
  > folder B
  > folder C
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bottom of the naviguation pane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Add me to the list of exasperated explorer users.
I just don't get how a company like Microsoft, who surely must be able to afford the worlds best developers, can let such an obvious flaw slip through the net.
And what about the beta testers? You can't tell me no one noticed/flagged this bug.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same stupdity experienced here.

If I did not have to support many windows users I would only use PowerDesk for all my computers. Buttttttt.

This has to be fixed quickly.

J

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, does anyone have a solution or are we supposed to get a third party file manager?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why is this flagged as "fixed" when clearly it is not?

I have 2 more friends who decided to delve into the Windows 7 market this week. After one of them found out how miserable Windows 7 is to work with he returned his laptop. The other is still debating returning his as well. I bought a Windows 7 laptop to replace my Vista one and as of right now with all the issues I see I'd rather go back to Vista.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree 100%, this is ludicrous.

By the way, what annoys me (& reduces efficiency) more is the lack of 'single click in left-hand (folders) pane to open folder and expand to display sub-folders'.
It seems that since XP you have to either single click to open folder (in R-H pane) and then click on arrow to expand, OR to double-click in the L-H pane.

I've found discussion of this 'lost feature' elsewhere on the net, but not on this site - can anyone redirect me if it's here?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Add me to the list of frustrated users.

Add to that the frustration of reading all of the obviously "canned" answers having nothing to do with the problem, like this forum is read by a not-so-smart bot that tries to come up with an answer and fails miserably.   No, I don't need to run SFC.  No, I don't need to know how to select the columns in the right-hand pane.  No, there's nothing wrong with my computer, the problem occurs on 3 different PCs with 3 different versions of Windows 7.

This is obviously a bug in the code and needs to be addressed. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm quite surprised this bug has not been addressed so far. It's quite annoying when you expand a folder and suddenly the folder tree jumps from underneath your mouse cursor.

It has been discussed on this thread:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/50a81b05-da98-4d55-821d-55ffbbd0e998

Unfortunately the Microsoft support response was as frustrating as the bug itself:

"Welcome to Microsoft Answers community Forum!

This behavior is by design and is working as intended."

Really?!!! Are you kidding me?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2020 Views 16,114 Applies to: