Windows 7 Search Index Advanced Options can't use all filter?

Hello from Germany,

when I open the advanced Search Options I can add fileextensions and customize them as a property filter or property and contentfilter ONLY.

There are a lot of other filter f. e. xml-filter, html-filter etc.

Is is possible to add fileextensions and to use more filter than only the cleartextfilter or properties filter.

Example: I add a filetype .ok. This file contains xml. When I serch for content, the content of the "ok" file is not shown.

When I rename the file to the extension "xml", Windows Search shows me the content.

So, if anybody has an idea I will be very thankful.

Kind regards

Regina

|
Answer
Answer

If you are comfortable with changing things in the Registry, you can.  (Disclaimer:  messing with Registry can wreck your computer.)  In Registry Editor, look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml.  See how there are String Values called Content Type with text/xml and PerceivedType with text, and an entry called PersistentHandler with a String Value called (Default) set at {7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE}.  You want to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ok and put new String Values there like those for .xml.

You can copy the following lines, paste them into a txt file, and rename with txt changed to reg, and then run the reg file.  That will create your required Registry changes, and .ok will show up in the Indexing Options the way that you wanted.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ok]
@="okfile"
"Content Type"="text/xml"
"PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ok\PersistentHandler]
@="{7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE}"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 351 Applies to: