Windows 7 I get Icons instead of pictures on Thumbnails

I have two programs "Cricut Design Studio" and "4D Embroidery System" both of which show the program icon on the thumbnail instead of the thumbnail picture itself.  I spent 4 hours on the phone with HP Support yesterday (since my copy of Windows 7 is an OEM product) - they were unable to correct the problem.  I am experiencing this same problem on my new desktop that has Windows 7 on it.  I have tried all the usual fixes - eg. in folder options unchecking "Always show Icons not Thumbnails" and both checking and unchecking "Display file icon on thumbnails" - also in the Control Panel under System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced tab , Preformance settings, making sure the "Show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked.
I have XP on my old desktop computer - the program icons display the pictures on the thumbnails correctly on that computer.
I can load those files onto a jump drive, plug that jump into my Windows 7, and the files on the jump show the thumbnail pictures correctly.  If I transfer those files onto the computers with Windows 7 on them, they become icons of the program again (instead of pictures of the file).  In Windows 7, I have all the latest updates, and both of the programs that I can't see the pictures on the thumbnails also have the latest updates, and are completely compatible with Win 7.
This is a real problem for me because I work with these files (over 10,000 of them) daily.  The many of the file names are just numbers, so without the pictures, I can't tell which file to open.  Please HELP!

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2019 Views 87,907 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
In Windows Explorer,
click on Organize - Folder and Search Options - View
uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
OK
   Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
"ferretgirl" wrote in message
news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

I still get the icon instead of the picture, even when I am on large view?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Get it: http://download.live.com/wlmail

47 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
The file icon size must be medium or large for the thumbnails to show. Small icons will only show thw generic thumbnail.

There must also be codecs installed to generate the thumbnails for the file types.

62 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.