Windows 7 Explorer Status Bar doesn't Show Filesize

I was trying to find a file that I knew was on my computer but Windows 7 Search couldn't seem to locate it, not even after I found it myself!

I went to the folder where I knew where it was and could see it and started the simple search. After 20 minutes of searching and confirming it wasn't even checking subfolders I decided to post my frustration so I wanted to get the # of files (250) and aggregate file size (500MB) to ask what could possibly be taking so long NOT to find the file (searching on 1 word: park) which was found in over 100 files but not the one that had the word, parking, IN THE TITLE and IN THE TEXT multiple times.

So I go to Microsoft Communities where I labor through 20 pages of Codes of Conduct before I finally get in. Many, many posts are expressing the same frustration! I find one that claims to have the answer. I labor through another 10 pages, mostly off topic but even the experts don't get it right or worse, choose to be vague on purpose.

Fortunately it provides enough info that the Status bar no longer displays the desired info but there's an Info bar that does but details are fuzzy. Armed with this insight I am finally able to track down the answer for myself.  So I go to the end of the Post and some "Community Star" has locked the thread indicating a particular expert had provided a workaround leaving the user to go track down which of many experts provided the workaround, none of which did. Are you kidding me?

OK SO THE ANSWER: Under the Menu Bar, there's another Bar with a Drop Down for Organize. (Not sure of the name of that Bar if it appears for all users). Simply select Organize > Layout > Details pane. Then a Details Pain (some may refer to it as the Info Bar) shows the desired info of the files selected.

Email me (my name is my address) if you'd like to work to get to the bottom of this with Microsoft. It can't possibly be so crazy!

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2020 Views 3,512 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the resolution with us which will help others facing the same problems to fix it.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Stupid m$

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the 'display file size information in folder tips' checked, however the file size does not display.
This a very annoying lack of a feature.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for sharing this, it was driving me crazy to know what has happened. I don't know why MS still keeps the status bar after having rendered it useless.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue is not with the files sizes showing, it's the folder size that won't display.

·

Sorry this didn't help.