Windows 7 automatically sets all files to read only

I installed all the updates that Microsoft suggested and it set EVERY folder on my system to read only. I have tried the various suggestions of setting attributes via cmd prompt, changing permissions, running in compatible mode with other version of Windows, creating a new user, setting the permissions on each folder to to full access and nothing worked. I thought that I had a Trojan or virus so spent ALL weekend before finals re-installing Windows to try to fix it. As soon as the updates ran through it went right back to the same issues. I am a college student and also run a small business off my laptop. I am losing money and jeopardizing my education from failed Microsoft updates that completely SCREW my laptop.

With all the posts about this issue, why is it Microsoft is so blatantly willing to ignore all of us???

When will a fix be available so we can all stop losing money and I can stop putting my education in jeopardy from something that Microsoft hosed in the first place.
I apologize to anyone that might have been offended but I find the actions of a multimillion dollar company not correcting errors that affect thousands of people and companies completely irresponsible and another indication of how large companies think of the millions of users that keep their product going. 
Answer
Answer

Hi, 

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try the steps given in the following link and check if it fixes the issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/after-xp-to-windows-7-upgrade-folder-stuck-in-read/be05c603-8a55-4fe6-9335-6fa125d47381

Method 2:

You may try to create a new user and check if the issue persists. Refer to the following article to do the same:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

Hope this helps!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 25, 2020 Views 1,330 Applies to: