Why does Windows 7 search index lose track of some files unpredictably when they are changed?

Inside a main project folder, I have many FLA (Flash) lesson files stored in subfolders like "lesson2", "lesson2a", "lesson2e", etc., sometimes with 10 variations of each lesson number.  To save time loading all 10 files for lesson 3 (since Explorer doesn't have any kind of flat view of folder contents), I type "l003*.fla" into the search bar, and it brings up "l003.fla", "l003a.fla", "l003st.fla", etc, so I can select them all and drag them into Flash for editing.  That way I don't have to navigate into every individual folder to load all the FLA files for a lesson.

The problem I'm experiencing is that Windows search does not return all the "fla" files known to exist.  There's often one or two missing, which makes it unreliable, because I need to be certain that I'm getting all the files.

For example, suppose I determine that Windows Search is returning all the FLA files for lesson 3, except "l003st.fla".  If I go into the "lesson3st" folder, I will see the "l003st.fla" file there, even though when I type "l003st" into the search box, it returns no results.  In other words, Windows Search is not returning a filename that is known to exist in the very folder I'm searching in, and that folder has only 3 files in it.  There are two other files with extensions "swf" and "as" representing the compiled FLA file and its ActionScript code file, and the search finds those just fine.

What seems to be happening, specifically, is that while the search initially returns all the FLA files, once they are loaded into Flash and some changes are saved, then I can actually watch one or two of those files suddenly disappear from the search results, as though the search index has lost track of them.  The search results refresh automatically, and I see the edited files all disappear from the results, then gradually come back over a few seconds, but a couple of them just don't come back, and they're clearly being excluded from the index.

This is very odd and unpredictable behavior that makes windows search unreliable and therefore useless.

Hi Triynko,

You are facing issue with search in Windows 7.

Were there any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

Please follow the methods and check if it works fine.

Method 1:

Run the Microsoft fixit from the link and check if it works fine.

Refer to the link.

Fix Windows Desktop Search when it crashes or not showing results

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search/en-us

Method 2:

Follow the step from the link and check if it works fine.

Refer to the link.

Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/improve-windows-searches-using-the-index-frequently-asked-questions

For any Windows related issues please feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There were no changes made that should affect windows search, and it's not a configuration problem.  It's clearly a flaw in the design or programming of windows search.

The fix-it found no problems and the other method deals with configuration problems.  My problem is one where a particular file or files ARE being returned by search, but once they are modified, SOME of them (but not all) are suddenly excluded from the search results when the results refresh. This occurs for files of the same type in the same folder, with no differences in file extension, format, or permissions.

The folder I'm searching in is on my desktop.  The permissions are typical and "system" has full control, the search returns all FLA files at first, until some files are updated, then some of them unexpectedly no longer appear in the search results.  Same file type, same folder, same permissions, all included in search results at first, then some unexpectedly go missing from the search results, despite the files all still being exactly where they were. 

Please read this and try to explain why this would be happening under normal circumstances.  I have a folder on my desktop with 10 "fla" files in it.  I type "*.fla" into the search box.  Search returns all 10 files.  Now, I drag those files into Flash Professional for editing, make some changes, and save the files.  The search refreshes, but now only 8 or 9 of the 10 files are returned, despite the fact that all 10 files are still there.  It's unpredictable which file(s) will be excluded from the indexed, and as a result the index is unreliable.  Indexing options shows indexing to be complete.

What am I supposed to do?  Manually reindex the affected folders every time I save a file?  Then wait for an hour or more until reindexing finishes?  If a file is included in the index and is being returned in the search results, then opening that file in an appropriate editor and saving changes to the file should not cause it to be excluded from the index unpredictably like this, while other files of the same type in the same folder that where edited as well remain in the search index.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2018 Views 220 Applies to: