Where is location of Outlook.pst file in Windows 7, the AppData folder does not appear in the Specific User folder?

original title: : Where is location of Outlook.pst file in Windows 7?

I want to copy my Outlook.pst data from my desktop (Windows XP Pro) to my laptop.  Outlook shows the outlook.pst file to be located in the "C:\Users\Specific User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" folder on my laptop.  However, when I try to access this folder in Windows Explorer, the AppData folder does not appear in the Specific User folder.  I can find it in my desktop because Windows XP does not hide it but it must be hidden in the Windows 7 operating system on my laptop.  How can I access it so that I can copy the outlook.pst file from my desktop to my laptop?  If the file is hidden, is there an easier way to copy outlook data from one computer to another?

Chris 

Answer
Answer
To see AppData, enable viewing of hidden files and folders in Control Panel > Folder Options > View .
Steve Winograd

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I'm using Xp and have upgraded for Outlook 2007 to 2010. 3 issue coming upo and I'd really appreciate any suggestions:

1.The C:\Users file appears to be missing - does this make sense please?

Yes.  Windows 7 and Vista use the C:\users while XP uses the C:\Documents and Settings .

2.Also, I cannot find the archived files and contacts I had previously on my laptop;

Search for *.pst and make sure you have enabled showing hidden files and folders under Control Panel | Folder Options | View and include hidden files and folders in the Advanced Search options.

3. There are a large number of files on my C:\Windows directory showing  a folder logo and then a title in blue, faded script like this          $NtUninstallKB911927$.

Ignore them.  These are updates that were applied to your computer.  They are needed should you ever need to uninstall or reinstal an update.

I'm reasonably IT literate but this is beyond me.

Next time ask in a forum related to Outlook and not in a forum devoted to Windows 7 files. 

steve

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2020 Views 647,665 Applies to: