where are Outlook 2003 Contacts and Calendar files stored on Windows 7?

just got a new PC running Windows 7. Imported my old pst files to populate Outlook 2003 email and everything came across OK including Contacts and Calendar. BUT, I usually back-up my Contacts list and calendar so I have it in case of a crash and also to copy to my laptop for when I'm traveling, also to import to webmail, etc.  can't find where these files are stored.
just got a new PC running Windows 7. Imported my old pst files to populate Outlook 2003 email and everything came across OK including Contacts and Calendar. BUT, I usually back-up my Contacts list and calendar so I have it in case of a crash and also to copy to my laptop for when I'm traveling, also to import to webmail, etc.  can't find where these files are stored.

Firstly you should NOT have used the import function at all. You may well find that you will run into problems with your data having done that.

The default location for pst files in Windows 7 is C:\Users\{Your Account Name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I used export/import for emails & contacts in Outlook 2007 and it worked a treat.

You should be able to find where outlook is storing your by going to Tools->Accont Settings. For me the location is as Gordon states in his reply.
All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I used export/import for emails & contacts in Outlook 2007 and it worked a treat.

And you will find you have problems on-going by doing that.

The import/export function has been broken for a long time.
NO-BODY in all the Outlook groups recommends using import/export at all.

Why?

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1.  Custom Forms
2.  Custom Views
3.  Connections between contacts and activities
4.  Received dates on mail
5.  Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6.  Journal connections
7.  Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.

If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As a tip:  after you open the file natively (the PST), you can then drag and drop items from it to the related folders in your primary folders, and the data will be retained.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

sorry -- I used the wrong terminology.   I didn't import my Outlook pst files.  I had brought across a copy and placed them into the location (as you indicated above) and they're accessible as expected thru Outlook.  My Contacts and Calendar came across at the same time.  What I'm trying to do now is export my Contacts (address book) and Calendar so that I can find them to import into my webmail, for when I'm traveling and for backup purposes, etc. |I usually have exported them as .csv files -- are they no longer stored separately?  if so, where?  thank you

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

sorry -- I used the wrong terminology.   I didn't import my Outlook pst files.  I had brought across a copy and placed them into the location (as you indicated above) and they're accessible as expected thru Outlook.  My Contacts and Calendar came across at the same time.  What I'm trying to do now is export my Contacts (address book) and Calendar so that I can find them to import into my webmail, for when I'm traveling and for backup purposes, etc. |I usually have exported them as .csv files -- are they no longer stored separately?  if so, where?  thank you

Ah. That's a different story.
What you need to do is to ascertain what format your Webmail can import, then export from Outlook in that format...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a question that is along the lines of this thread.   As of this date I still have Win 7 and Office 2003 with Outlook 2003 also.

I know where in what directory structure the files are supposed to be located as described earlier in this thread, and I have successfully migrated my outlook data PST file to a separate drive partition (where I have all my user files located for backup purposes) many years ago.

Many years ago (no correlation to the files being moved)  I had an well populated Address Book with many contacts.   At that time I did not have the knowledge to locate and backup the PAB file for OUTLOOK (or maybe the whole system) before the system failure took everything away.

Even though I can find the PAB file as pointed out, my efforts to prove that the PAB file contains anything useful is becoming confusing to me. 

I can make changes to the contacts (add and delete too) in OUTLOOK in the Contacts tab, I see no effect on the file date and file size of the PAB file itself.  The file size is 265KB and the date is 11/27/2013.  I make backups of the individual PAB and PST files at the occasional point in time before or after a major event, just in case something bad might happen.  This gives me the added benefit to see the progression in the file growth changes.  I have seen no changes in date or size of the PAB file for all this time.

Well, besides all that, OUTLOOK has a place (a menu item) where it looks like I can change the PAB file I'm pointing to while processing the OUTLOOK messages and Contacts.  That being in the TOOLS menu and the sub-item ADDRESS BOOK.

At the current time, I've been working on this again to solve the issue,  I now am getting an error that is more serious (but it doesn't effect my ability to get to the Contacts that I've had in my OUTLOOK file for a few years).  Basically, the message boils down to:  Either the Contacts folder related to the current address list can not be opened due to non-existence or I have no permissions.  If I change the Contacts to another item that is listed in that requestor that I mentioned, the error changes to the list of Contacts that I have in OUTLOOK at the time, NOW!

To clarify more:  That requestor that pops up shows three lines of information.  The first line contains the text "Outlook Address Book".  The second line and the third line both have the word "CONTACTS" in it and it is moved over to the right (indented) just a couple of characters.  Depending on which line of the three is selected with the cursor, the results change from an error to showing the list of Contacts.

This is proving that the Address Book and Contacts are the same thing and those Contacts are contained in the current PST file itself.    NOW, people out there might have the question, as I do, why is it not a separate PAB file so that another application can use the same Contacts list that exists.  It would make sense for it to be that way.  And due to the fact that it is talked about like that in various text's,  I had the impression that it was what I was attempting to locate - that separate PAB file!

Now that I've written all this information (a dissertation about my progression in determining what is obvious to everyone else),  what shall I do with this?  I'd like to simply have someone that is more sure of the process than me to tell me if that is the way it is.  In fact: There is NO Separate PAB file for Addresses and the Contacts are kept in the OUTLOOK.PST file.  Please be gentle.  I don't want to be ridiculed for stating the obvious that everyone else knows.  I've taken the time to lay this out as directly and plainly and showing my thought process progression to analyze the facts at hand.

Roger J O

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Roger10,

I came across this post whilst searching for some information regarding where Outlook 2003 stores contacts.

My query has been solved.

However I would suggest that you may not get many responses to your question as you have posted in a 'dead' thread - I say dead as the thread has not been updated since 2010!

You are probably better off starting your own thread...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 21,175 Applies to: