What is the maximum number of files I can place into one sub-folder in Windows 7?

original title:Maximum Files in Folder

What is the maximum number of files I can place into one sub-folder in Windows 7?  And is there a maximum size limit to sub-folders?

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2020 Views 108,786 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi Ka4nmx,

It depends on the size of the disk space of the computer.

There's no practical limit on the combined sizes of all the files in a folder, though there may be limits on the number of files in a folder. More importantly, there are limits on individual file size that depend on what filesystem you're using on your hard disk. (The "filesystem" is nothing more than the specification of exactly how files are store on disk.)

Windows 7 supports NTFS file system. NTFS, or "New Technology File System" introduced with Windows NT, is a completely redesigned file system.

◦Maximum disk size: 256 terabytes
◦Maximum file size: 256 terabytes
◦Maximum number of files on disk: 4,294,967,295
◦Maximum number of files in a single folder: 4,294,967,295

Note that when I say "disk" above, I'm really talking about "logical" disks, not necessarily physical. No one makes a 256 terabyte disk drive, but using NTFS you can treat an array of disk drives as a single logical disk. Presumably if you have enough of them, you can build a huge logical drive.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support.

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

97 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.