Want to Save Windows 7 Explorer Search Results (ie, output) and not the Query.

I have looked for certain files in Explorer using the Search function, with View set to Details.  The results produced are exactly what I want, but there is no way of capturing those results apart from using the Shift-RBClick, and Copy As Path feature which only captures the path.  I want the other details that are shown in the Search Results.  Save Search only save the query. Copy as Path only captures the Path.  Is there anyway I can save the detail which is displayed on my screen? 

fwiw, I want to save the details into Excel and massage data from there.  I know I can perform a DIR at the command prompt and pipe results to a file, but without scripting, this only allows 1 drive to be interrogated at a time, whereas Explorer will allow me to interrogate multiple drives.  

Being able to capture the output will allow me to dump the results of the search into Excel and manipulate the data exactly how I want to view it, esp with Pivot Tables.

Alternatively, is there a registry change that will extend the output of the Shift-RBClick on the Explorer's Search results which provides access to the Copy as Path feature? ie, the basic output is JUST the full path.  Is there some registry change will allow other fields to be added to the Copy as Path feature?  Because the output from the Copy as Path is in quotes, it works well with Excel which strips the quotes when the data enters the cell(s). 

Thanks in advance

Lindsay

|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Unfortunately you will not be able to do what you are trying to do. I would suggest you to post your valuable feedback in the Windows 7 feedback link, so that we can work on it and help you further.

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

For further reference about the Windows search, please refer to the following Microsoft article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/explore/search

Hope the information is helpful.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2020 Views 1,251 Applies to: