User.V2

I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, on a wireless network with 3 other computers (1 with windows 7, 1Vista and 1 XP) I recently installed a Network Attached Storage, a couple days later I noticed that under OS/Users I have myusername and myusername.V2 I don't know how or what created this, if it's safe or spyware or what. I didn't notice it until after I added the NAS and I think it has something to do with that. I deleted it and every thing was ok but I turned the computer off for more than a day and when I started it back up it took about 25 to 30 min. and when it was done the myusername.V2 was there again. Does anyone know what this is, can it hurt my system and what I can do about it or do I need to worry about it. The system is working fine, hasn't caused any problems, but I need to know.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 5,885 Applies to:
Answer

Hi ,

The user profile namespace used in Windows XP is identical to the one used in Windows 2000, making interoperability between the operating systems transparent. However, the significant changes in the Windows Vista profile namespace create a challenge. These significant changes prevent Windows Vista from loading user profiles from previous versions of Windows. Also, previous versions of Windows do not load Windows Vista user profiles. Therefore, Windows Vista roaming user profiles will add "v2" to the end of the profile folder. The "v2" is used to isolate Windows Vista roaming user profiles from roaming user profiles created by previous operating systems. You can find more information about user profile interoperability with Windows XP user profiles later in this document.

Access the link mentioned below and download the document:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/b/a/3ba6d659-6e39-4cd7-b3a2-9c96482f5353/Managing%20Roaming%20User%20Data%20Deployment%20Guide.doc

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.