Unzipping files in windows 7

The option to extract files doesn't appear in the menu when right clicking on a zipped file on my new windows 7 32 bit laptop. I  also have a windows 7 desktop computer and and on that computer  the right click menu has the extract files option. so I know that it should be available on the laptop. Do I have to purchase a program to unzip files or is there something wrong with my new laptop.

Do zip files appear as compressed folders or do they appear differently?  In other words, do you have an unzipping application on that PC or are you using WIndows' built-in zip file handling?

Windows should be able to treat zip files just like folders where you can drag/drop files in or out.  However, if you want to install a zip handler, you certainly don't need to buy one.  There are many great free ones.  I like 7-Zip.  http://www.7-zip.org/.

Brian

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ni I don't have an unzipping application on the computer. I want to unzip files using the Windows built-in zip file extractor.  I thought it came as standard with the built in applications of windows 7.

I read on another post that I should download the zip file extension to my desktop and then right click and then select merge. I followed the link and downloaded the file but am nervous about merging the file as I don't know anything about .reg files.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Zip handling is, indeed, a standard part of Windows 7.  If you want to add a file to a zip file, open the file by double-clicking it, just like it's a folder.  Then open the folder contaiing the file you want to include and drag it to the open zip file folder.  All done.  Extract files in a similar fashion, just like copying a file from one folder to another.
Brian

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that there must be something wrong with the installation/set up of this new laptop.

I am used to unzipping files on my desktop and as you said I just have to right click and extract to a prepared folder/location or drag and drop.

Should I install /merge ( don't know what merge does) the zip file extension that I asked about earlier.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this.  Open a command prompt window and at the prompt type

regsvr32.dll zipfldr.dll

then press Enter.  Now see if zip files act as folders.

Brian

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The option to extract files doesn't appear in the menu when right clicking on a zipped file on my new windows 7 32 bit laptop. I  also have a windows 7 desktop computer and and on that computer  the right click menu has the extract files option. so I know that it should be available on the laptop. Do I have to purchase a program to unzip files or is there something wrong with my new laptop.

Thanks Brian.  Everything is working perfectly now.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

says regsvr32.dll  it is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right-click the zip file and choose "Open with".  If you see "Windows Explorer" in the "Recommended Programs" pane, select it.  If you don't see it, click the down arrow at the right end of the dividing line between the "Recommended Programs" pane and the "Other Programs" pane to expand it and select "Windows Explorer" from that pane.  Check the box labeled "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", then click OK.

Brian

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 9,729 Applies to: