Total size of multiple selected files in the details pane ...

Hi,

if I select multiple files, the total size of them is shown in the details pane at the bottom. But if I select more than 15 files, there is no more information visible. Where does this behavior comes from? Why 15 files? Why not 20 or 150 or 999? Is there any flag that I can set in the registry to disable this strange behavior or to increase the number of files, the total size is calculated for?

Thanks
Konrad
|
Answer
Answer
Sigh, another Explorer shortcoming has been revealed.  I don't know what Microsoft was thinking...  Above 15 items a "Show more details..." link appears in place of the details.  Why do they think we have the "Details" pane showing, if not to show more details?  Very frustrating.

Clearly Explorer was right in the middle of a rewrite when Microsoft released Windows 7.  It's not up to the standard of the rest of the system, that's for sure.

For what it's worth there's a freeware tool called ClassicShell (easily found with a search online) that has features for improving Explorer, including showing some of the things XP used to show in the Status bar at the bottom of Explorer windows.  One thing in particular is that it will add up the sizes of ALL the files selected and display the total in the status bar.  The secondary advantage of this is that you don't have to have the details pane showing to see the total size.  Here's an image of an Explorer window with ClassicShell installed.  Note in particular the total size shown at the bottom-right (you'll have to scroll the window to see it). Note also the "Up" button, the free disk space display.  The folder path in the title bar is from another freeware add-on called ShellFolderFix.

While ClassicShell's main claim to fame is that it brings back the classic start menu, you don't need to install that part to get these nice Explorer extensions.

-Noel

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2021 Views 2,210 Applies to: