Thumbnails in Windows Explorer are Not Updated?

I have a Folder for CD Cover art held under the "My Pictures" Folder. Here I scan in CD covers so that I can add the cover art into CDs ripped into Windows Media Player.

I scan the covers in using my scanner, with a setting for A5 Portrait size. Since this is a larger size than the CD covers themselves, I need to crop the images down, in my case, I am using Paint.NET to do this.

When I view the contents of the Folder in Windows Explorer, many of the thumbnails are displayed as though they are still the original scanned image (A5 Portrait size), rather than the cropped square CD cover size. I have a screenshot here showing this:

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pIABqAhgly5WDtzDlFeFUU1SivnhhucFjaJwnZCYd7aju1HtfpSqCa76ssXyX950hrm_d8-PG8Z8ModZvN9xIog/Thumbs.jpg

Notice that the selected thumbnail (Classical0001.jpg) shows the original uncropped image, while the Preview pane of Windows Explorer is showing the cropped image correctly. Notice also that some thumbnails are being displayed correctly as cropped images (e.g. Clouds.jpg, Don Juan.jpg, and Domizetti.jpg) while others still show the original scan as it was before being cropped (e.g. Dance Smash.jpg, Dance.jpg and Delius.jpg)

Refreshing the Thumbnails view in Windows Explorer (using F5) makes no difference, I still have false thumbnails being displayed.

What's going on here? Is there a way to force Windows Explorer to work as it should?

I should also point out that the cropped thumbnails are correctly displayed in Windows Live Photo Gallery, but Windows Explorer just isn't working correctly, as far as I can see. 

Question Info

Last updated July 31, 2018 Views 4,512 Applies to:

Hi Geoffc1,

Method 1: -
I’d suggest you to perform Disk Cleanup, cleaning up your temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.
1. Click on Start Orb, type Disk Cleanup in to the Search box and then press Enter.
2. Check "Thumbnails" and then click OK.
3. Click "Delete Files" button.

Refer this link for more information:-
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Method 2: -
If the above method does not help, delete the thumbcache_*.db files in the following folder (you can copy the following location in to the Search box directly)
%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

Method 3: -
If the issue still exists, please see if it occurs in other user accounts.

Refer this link:-
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7pictures/thread/a0e3d69b-bd7a-48be-ad2f-3837fa09a48b

Hope it helps
Thanks and regards
Dinesh-Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Method 1: Didn't work. Thumbnails still showing the uncropped original thumbs.

Method 2: Can't delete any of the thumbcache_*.db files. All of them give a "File in use" error message.

Method 3: There are no other user accounts on this computer.

So, thank you, but your suggestions have not helped in the least. What do you suggest now?

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem was reported on another thread, and a workaround was posted there:
Found a solution though

>> Right Click in the Folder that contains the images
 >> Select View
 >> Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons")
 >> This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated

Not ideal, but a fix none the less.

This works for refreshing the thumbnails for the Large-size icons, but interestingly, the medium-size icons are not being refreshed, and hence not updated.

Sorry this didn't help.

This happens only with some photographed JPG files that are stored with the EXIF data (specifically Exif.Thumbnail).

Why Paint saves the picture with the correct
thumbnail?
When saving the picture in Paint, it
corrects EXIF data.

My solution is to delete only the "broken" Exif.Thumbnail data using a free program exiv2 (http://www.exiv2.org/sample.html).
Using the command prompt in the folder
that containsexiv2 and picture (Example.jpg), write:
exiv2 -dt Example.jpg

It works for me!

Sorry this didn't help.

I *hate* suggestions like " perform Disk Cleanup, cleaning up your temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files". 

Cleaning your cookies? Really? You think there is even the slightest possibility browser cookies would affect the way Windows Explorer caches image thumbnails? Really?!??

I need working solutions to problems that you have actually reproduced and tested the fix for.Did you actually try reproducing the issue Mohammed? Just letting users perform useless tasks because it once helped some other user fix some other, unrelated problem is NOT what a good support employee does. I know because I had the same job once. You should start with actually trying to reproduce the problem. Once you have the problem reprodcued, you find out what causes it and come up with and test the actual fix. Only then do you make the user spend time on it.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.