The compressed (zipped) folder is Empty.

This is the full message :
The compressed (zipped) folder is Empty. Before you can extract files, you must copy files to this compressed (zipped) folder.

I have downloaded two seperate files, from two differant websites. When I want to open the files I get the above answer. I have tried opening the folder with 7Zip and Uniextract.

On the properties it shows that the size of the folder is 10 MB. I have alos taken ownership of this folder. Still no luck.

I am using WIndows 7....

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 21,780 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Frika,

a. Have you tried opening (extracting) the zipped folder on another computer? Does it extract fine without any errors?

For now, I’d suggest you to uninstall the 7zip and Uniextract software and re-install the same and check if that fixes the issue.

Also, make sure that the compression format is supported by 7zip or Uniextract.

If the above steps do not work, create a new user account and check if you can extract the compressed files without any issue.

Follow these steps to create a new user account:

1. To open User Accounts, click the Start button, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.
2. Click Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click Create a new account.
4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Refer the link below for more details:

To create a user account
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

If, in the new user account you’re able to extract the files without any error message, it indicates that the other user account is corrupted.

You may fix the corrupted user profile.

Your user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to. It contains your settings for desktop backgrounds, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and other features. User profiles ensure that your personal preferences are used whenever you log on to Windows. If you tried to log on to Windows and received an error message telling you that your user profile might be corrupted, you can try to repair it. You will need to create a new profile, and then copy the files from the existing profile to the new one.

Access the link below and follow the steps mentioned in the article:

Fix a corrupted user profile
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Gokul - Microsoft Support

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.