Slow Operating System Windows Explorer is slow and programs operate slow - sometimes crash

I know that there have been similar questions on the forum, but I have tried to use some of the fixes and they all some how lead to Microsoft Fix/It. I tried Microsoft Fix/it but it doesn't open, download, or move. It is deader than my computer. Maybe my problem is a bit different so here it is.

How come when I open Windows Explorer and select  a Drive or Folder or subfolder  I see a green bar move ever so slowly across the Title Bar just above the menu bar?  As long as this slow moving green bar is moving across the screen, nothing (meaning sub folders or files) is displayed in the area where you would expect to see the contents of the item selected. When I open a program to run it, it seems to take forever to run. And when it is running, it takes so long to accomplish  the next step. On my other computers, one desk top like this one and a laptop, which all have the same operating system (Win7-64), pretty much the same programs (MS Office,  email program, and accessory utility programs) don't seem to have this problem. I know Windows 7 has lots of settings, but as far as I have been able to check out, all my folder files and operating system files are all set up the same. I am using Explorer 9 on all three computers, and I had set up that program the same on all three computers. I just know there are a lot more settings that can be made (probably some that could make things worse) that I am afraid to touch because I don't know what all they might effect. (such as in the registry). What type of question  should I ask to get me into the right area for an answer to my problem?   FYI my Windows operating system is WIN7-64 professional, PID: 00371-152-5271132-85592 if that would help any. And I have done all of the virus checking things, and there are no viruses or malware anywhere on this computer.

Hi Ron,

Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

It's perfectly understandable that you're very upset about what's happened. I'll definitely help you.

I would recommend you to look at the links provided to improve the performance of Windows 7:

Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss

How to make a computer faster: 6 ways to speed up your PC

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx#fbid=97QYdW2XfTc

Ways to improve your computer's performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Ways-to-improve-your-computers-performance

Slow PC? Optimize your computer for peak performance

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/optimize.aspx#fbid=HVhJmdoAiKy

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Let us know the result. If the issue is still not resolved, we'll be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi
Thanks for contacting Microsoft Community.

Go to start->click Help and Support. In the Search help area, type speed up and press enter. Follow all the procedures mentioned.

If the steps mentioned failed to solved the issue, reply here.
Balaji Kundalam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I did, There were a couple of programs that I had installed within the last couple of weeks. I have removed them.

I had followed your Instructions, including leaving only a couple of needed items and eliminated the startup of any programs that I could start from an icon on my desk top, and eliminated all extras and graphics etc. Cleaned out all cookies, and anything else that Windows recommended that could be safely removed.  I was happy to see that when I opened Internet explorer, the moving green bar above the tool bar which indicated that IE was searching for items to display on the screen had disappeared.  However, when I tried to delete files from a directory I found some serious problems, as follows:

When I opened a directory and highlighted the files I wanted to delete, pulled down the File menu from the tool bar and clicked on the Delete selection I got the screen display as shown on attachment "Example 1". This started out with the normal display, but it kept on running the spinning circle indication for a very long time. Then the spinning circle changed into a request message, see attachment "Example 2".  After I selected the "Yes" button the "Deleting" message appeared.  The information displayed inside the message got me worried.  This message window just sat there with the blue bar moving across the message screen for about a half an hour. At that point I got tired of waiting and closed out the box and checked the directory where the files were and of coarse the files were still there.  When I do the file deleting process in my other two computers, this whole thing takes less than a half a minute.  I think I still have a problem with my computer's speed of operation.  I will continue to check out other operations to see if I have additional problems, although my Word, Excel, and Access programs seem to function satisfactorily.   I am sorry about the reference to the attachments I referred to above, they were screen captures of what was happening on the screen, and I thought I could attach them to this reply, but I don't see how I can.  I will try to reply to your email with the attachments. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi
Thanks for contacting Microsoft Community.

Go to start->click Help and Support. In the Search help area, type speed up and press enter. Follow all the procedures mentioned.

If the steps mentioned failed to solved the issue, reply here.

I got a reply also from Sandeep V.  I sent a reply to him which should cover the solutions you supplied and I responded with the results. Some good news and some bad news.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the reply.

Create a new user account and check it the issue occurs in new user account as well.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

If the issue is resolved, please follow the instructions in the below link:

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Please post back if you are still facing any issues with the computer. I’ll be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So far I have found that by Switching from IE10 to IE9 increased my Internet access and anything related to IE were improved dramatically when I switched back to IE9. When I tried the regular windows speed up procedures such as removing a lot of the start up programs that booted at start up, and limited the number of files that things that ran in the back ground, etc. my MS Office files functions did speed up considerably. However, when I tried  Creating  a new user account and checked it, the issues of my other programs running slow occurs in new user account as well.  I even tried the procedure to fix a corrupted user profile, and that didn't give me any improvement on programs that were not written by Microsoft. I guess you would refer to them as second or third party software. To be more specific, I record TV programs that I would like to watch at a later time. How ever, when I try to play these files back on the TV, I don't like watching all those commercials. So I use purchased video editing software to edit out the commercials. This greatly enhances my program watching experience when I want to view the program at a later time. When I use these video editing software programs on my other computers (All my computers have WIN7-64 Operating system and the same video editing programs) I can edit the commercials out and re-render the program into a single file for playback in just over an hour. How ever on this one computer it takes me over night plus the beginning of the next day to do the same thing.  Ironically the computer that I am having the problem with has an equal amount ram (8GB) and equal to or better clock speeds.  I have taken this computer into the place where I purchased the mother board and they gave the board, ram, hard drives the OK, after testing the unit out.  I have kind of narrowed my problems to being with what ever is involved with video processing.  I hope this gives you a better picture of where to focus on my problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the reply.

Run an in place upgrade to repair your operating system

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Note: Before you perform an in-place upgrade, you should be prepared for a worst case scenario that results in your existing data on your computer being deleted. This data includes personal data, settings, hardware driver information, and software programs. If a worst case scenario occurs, you may have to reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data to disks or to other external storage devices before you perform an in-place upgrade.

Please perform these recommended steps and post back if you are still experiencing the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did try this and I still have the same basic problem. when I open Windows Explorer and select  a Drive or Folder or subfolder  I see a green bar move ever so slowly across the Title Bar just above the menu bar?  As long as this slow moving green bar is moving across the screen, nothing (meaning sub folders or files) is displayed in the area where you would expect to see the contents of the item selected.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the reply.

I would suggest you to perform a custom installation as the last step.

Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Note: Make sure you backup the data before reinstalling the operating system.

Let us know the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2018 Views 933 Applies to: