SearchFilterHost.exe is sucking up all my physical memory (Commit size: 5,300,000kb)!!

Alright, something changed today, I really am not sure what, but it has driven me to disable Windows Search outright until I get an answer.

SearchFilterHost.exe has gone berserk. It has decided that it needs to consume all of the ram in my system to perform indexing, and this is a major problem. My system is aging and when 2gb of SuperFetch cache gets blown away because SearchFilterHost.exe is doing something wrong, I get angry.

SearchFilterHost.exe: Memory (Private working set): 176,320 K, Commit Size: 5,310,320 K.

I only have 4 gb of ram, 2gb is the general usage I have normally, so you can image just how much paging this massive commit size is causing.

My Windows Event log (Application Log) is filled, repeating every 10 - 15 minutes:

Warning 4/19/2010 8:47:24 PM Search 10023 Gatherer

The protocol host process 5552 did not respond and is being forcibly terminated {filter host process 6100}. 

Warning 4/19/2010 8:47:54 PM Search 10024 Gatherer
The filter host process 6100 did not respond and is being forcibly terminated.

I tried watching SearchFilterHost.exe under Process Monitor (Sysinternals) but of course, like a bad child who knows its being watched, is doing nothing but hijacking one of my cpu cores, but not consuming all my ram. Worst part, it gets reset due to failing to respond in time.

I've rebuilt the database for Windows Search, but this is getting out of hand. What the ____ is going on?

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2019 Views 16,578 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi xiata,

I would suggest you to try disabling the .XML file extension from being indexed in the Indexing Options and check if the issue is fixed.

You may refer the below mentioned link to add or remove index locations.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Improve-Windows-searches-using-the-index-frequently-asked-questions

Thanks and regards,

Fouzan – Microsoft support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum 

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-%20US/answersfeedback/threads and let 

us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.