Remove Properties function fails on removing location info on photos from Windows Phone

On photos taken with smartphones running Windows Phone 7.5, the "remove properties and personal information" feature fails on removing GPS coordinates from the pictures.

After importing the picture to my computer, I right-click the picture in Windows Explorer and go in Properties>Details tab.

I click "remove personal information"

I get an error saying it was unable to remove the property. It fails on all three GPS properties: Latitude, Longitude and Altitude.

Any idea why?

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2018 Views 9,797 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Note to fellow moderators: This thread is about a function failing in Windows 7. Please do not move this thread to the Windows Phone forum.
"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

No ideas anyone?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you click Start > type Explorer and select Windows Explorer > Right-click and select "run as administrator" can you make changes then?
https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, I get errors on the GPS properties again. "An error occurred when writing the property 'Altitude/longitude/latitude' to the file"

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having same issue with photos taken on iPhone: I'm guess it is any camera that includes GPS information.  Windows seems unable to deal with removing the GPS attributes...which is probably the most important part..

An error occurred when writing the property "Altitude" to the file '<filename.ext>'.  Try Again / Cancel

Sorry this didn't help.

Same exact problem here.

"Run as administrator" does not help.

So what now ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this link which explains how to change it. The most interesting line in there "Windows Explorer won’t let you edit GPS related information of photographs but Google’s Picasa software is a good choice for doing that."

http://www.labnol.org/software/exif-data-editors/14210/

Hope this helps.
https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Doesn't matter the source of the image, this is a problem with Windows 7.  There is no solution (other than rebooting my system over to linux or feeding the image through some shady website).  Is anyone from the Windows Dev team looking at this?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Windows 8, I still have problems. When attempting to remove properties, I get ask for administrative approval and it fails even after I give approval.

Sorry this didn't help.

In Windows 8, I still have problems. When attempting to remove properties, I get ask for administrative approval and it fails even after I give approval.

Ditto. I am unable to remove location data on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. When only trying to remove Longitude, I get the following error: "An error occurred when writing the property 'Longitude' to the file 'WP_XYZ.jpg'."

Sorry this didn't help.