Redirecting the target of My Documents folder

Dear users,
I did as I found to redirect my documents to an alternate location on my drive "C" and something strange happened ( Windows 7 Home Premium)
Went to Users\YourLoginName\Documents/properties/location tab/move and the chose a target folder "Esteban" which I had created before.
Now the strange stuff, the folder "Esteban"was replaced by "my documents" in the new location and is now not visible.
Basically what Win 7 did is not only point to the new folder but replace it.
This behavior I did not see in WIN XP in which the folder would remain even though my documents pointed to it.
I tried to backtrack and redo everything. I restored the default location of the my documents folder and now I noticed that the new folder that was
created before in "C"is still there and now it can't be erased, so back to scratch.
I'd appreciate your comments.
Answer
Answer

Hi ameneses

Method 1: Expand the library folder and click properties on the "My Documents" folder,

from there you can see the location tab and   change its location.

Method 2: Go here

start->type in C:\Users\*Your User Name*->Right click on my documents and

go to  properties->click on location tab and make the appropriate change.

If this also fails try it manually using regedit at the following locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Important This method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Additional Information: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Redirect-a-folder-to-a-new-location

Hope this helps you.

Regards.

Bharath-Microsoft Support 

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2020 Views 102,809 Applies to: