Problems with windows 7 explorer search

Greetings, English is not my native language so please excuse any errors.

I have a little problem with the windows 7 search utility. I have at several occasions been unable to find files that I know for certain are on my hard drive, most recently the folder of a newly installed game. Usually these folders are placed in an additional folder named after the developer, and since I very rarely have any idea who they are a search is often the fastest way to locate the game. It did not work this time, so I had to manually find the folder. The search gave me several answers, The .exe file of the game in question, The /documents folder in which personal settings and saved games are stored (Named the same as the /program folder for the record) but it apparently was unable to find the game folder itself.

Is it that the game folder has not been properly indexed yet? In that case, what settings can I change to make it search in non-indexed locations?

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2018 Views 67,838 Applies to:
Answer

Hey Noppe102,

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer. 

Follow the below steps to run the troubleshooter.

·         Open the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.

·         In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

·         Click View all, and then click Search and Indexing. 

For more information, refer the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Search-and-Indexing-troubleshooter

You can also add the file type that's not currently recognized by the index, to the index so you can search in Windows by that file type.

1.Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

2.Click Advanced. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.

4.In the Add new extension to list box, type the file name extension (for example, "txt"), and then click Add.

5.Click Index Properties Only or Index Properties and File Contents, and then click OK.

Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Improve-Windows-searches-using-the-index-frequently-asked-questions

Change advanced indexing options

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-advanced-indexing-options

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.