Question

Q: Problem opening a compressed Zip File in Windows 7, getting error "windows cannot open the folder. the compressed zip file is invalid" This thread is locked from future replies

I downloaded a zip folder from my Dropbox account to my new laptop running windows 7 64bit. But when I try to open the folder which tells me the size is 165MB I get error message: "windows cannot open the folder. the compressed zip file is invalid." I am really stuck and need this looking at urgently as these are important files that IO deleted from my old work laptop thinking that they would be safe.

Answer

A:

Hi Kentish Town,

Method –

I would recommend you to perform Clean Boot.
Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot-

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: You need to follow Step 7 from the article mentioned above to get the computer back to Normal Startup after you follow all the troubleshooting steps.

Now, try to perform the steps from the article mentioned below-

Compress and uncompress files (zip files)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Compress-and-uncompress-files-zip-files

Additionally, you may use your favorite search engine to check for third party softwares over the internet that can help you unzip the files.

Note: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Hope this helps!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

61 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 36318 Last updated: February 22, 2018 Applies to: