Offline files save to alternate partition

When I installed Win 7 I created seperate partitions for system & data. When I enable Offline Files, it saves thesefiles in the smaller system partition, which is rapidly fillingup. How do I change this location to the (larger) data partition?

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2019 Views 14,719 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

This can be done through a Directory Junction which can redirect to a new location of offline files.

The Offline Files are stored in the folder %SystemRoot%\CSC (which usually is C:\Windows\CSC or a different drive letter in place of C). First, create a folder on a partition with large space and give it an informative name, say, D:\Offline Folders as a suggestion.

You need to delete the existing folder and create a junction in its place. For this, boot into Safe Mode as an administrator and delete the CSC contents and folder.
del /s /q %SystemRoot%\CSC should to the job.

Having created the new location folder, and deleting the existing CSC folder, now is time to create a Directory Junction for CSC folder with the following command:

mklink /J  %SystemRoot%\CSC  <new-folder-path>

for example:  mklink /J  C:\Windows\CSC  "D:\Offline Files"

Now, whatever is meant for location %SystemRoot%\CSC gets directed to the new location.
I hope this helps.

Note: The quote marks in "D:\Offline Files" were required because of a space character in the folder name, otherwise not necessary.

samc1

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Make sure:

- boot the PC in Safe Mode (makes sure files are not locked, etc)
- you logged in as an Administrator (which you did, I believe)
- when you get to the Prompt, right-click on Command Prompt command and select Run as administrator
- type cmd into the Start menu Search box, and use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open in administrator mode. (This is the same as pointing to the Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator).

Now run the command rmdir /s /q %SystemRoot%\CSC

This should work.

samc1

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.