Need more details in Windows Explorer Details Pane

I'm using Windows 7 Professional x64.  When I use Windows Explorer to view image files (jpg, png, etc.), I would like to see each image's dimensions listed in the Details Pane.  However, the only details that show up in the Details Pane are Name, Type, Date Created, Date Modified, and Size (when Windows Explorer is set to view the images as Icons/Thumbnails, rather than Details).  This is the case even though:

* I've checked 'Dimensions' in the 'Choose Details' options
* The folder is already categorized/optimized for 'Pictures'
* Other folders show the other details I want -- i.e., the Details Pane for my 'Videos' folder shows Length, Frame Width, Frame Height, and other details that I've chosen

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2019 Views 5,814 Applies to:

Hi ZenAgain,

You may try the following steps and check if it helps:

1. Right click on one of the images and select Group by.

2. Select More and check the option Dimension and Click ok.

Also refer the links:

Managing your Pictures

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Managing-your-pictures

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Praseetha,

Thanks for the suggestion, but 'Dimensions' was already checked and it didn't solve the problem.  Is there anything else I can try?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ZenAgain,

1. Were you able to see the dimensions before?

You may try the following steps to change the registry settings and check if it helps.

a. Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER

b. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg

c. Make sure that the PerceivedType string value is present and the Data field is set to image.

Repeat the above procedure for any graphics extension where the size information is missing from the Dimensions column.

Once all the changes have been made, close Registry Editor and you should be ready to go with no more missing dimensions.

d. Exit the Registry Editor.

e. Restart the computer and check

Important: The above mentioned method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow the steps from the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Praseetha K

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Praseetha,

Thanks again for your suggestion, it was true that my registry did not include a Perceived Type or a Content Type entry for the JPG files.  But even after I added them in, there is no change -- the dimensions still don't appear in the Details Pane when I view the folder images as icons/thumbnails.

However, on a hunch, I switched the extension on one of my images from JPG to JPEG and now the dimensions (along with several other details) now appear.  I then went back to the registry to duplicate all the entries under the JPEG key over to the JPG key, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem -- still no dimensions when the image has a JPG extension.  Any thoughts?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ZenAgain,

Step 1:

You may try a clean boot to make sure the issue is not caused by another program. 

You may perform a clean boot and check.

A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application services or startup item is causing this issue.

You may refer the following KB article to put the computer in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135       

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the above KB article to narrow down the exact source.

Also, after resolving the issue, see the section on the clean boot link to how to return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual

Step 2:

You may also try creating a new profile to eliminate user profile corruption. 

Refer the link:

Fix a corrupt user profile:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Step 3: 

You may also try to rebuild the Index following the steps below:

a. Go to Control Panel

b. Select Indexing Options

c. Click Advanced

d. Click Rebuild and OK

Praseetha K

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again,

Unfortunately, Step 1 and Step 2 did not work -- I tried a clean boot with all startup programs and non-Microsoft services disabled but the problem is still present.  Also, I created a brand new,  unmodified Administrator account but again the problem is still present.  I am willing to try Step 3 but wonder if it's really necessary since I do not use the Index and in fact, disabled that service on the first day that I installed Windows 7 on my PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, ZenAgain

To clarify, you are using the Details view, correct?

When you select the file, does it show the dimensions in the details pane below the list of files?

Try restoring the association, go to Start, Default Programs, Set Default Programs, select Windows Photo Viewer then click Set this program as default.

If that doesn’t work, go to Start, type  cmd.exe in the search box and press enter. In the command prompt, type the following two commands and press enter:

assoc .jpg
assoc .jpeg

Let us know what it says after running each command, it should say .jpg=jpegfile and .jpeg=jpegfile

David
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello David,

No, I am viewing the images in my Pictures folder as Icons/Thumbnails -- when I view them in Details view, the Dimensions are shown in the columns but not in the Details Pane.

As you suggested, I also changed the Default Program for my jpg files to Windows Photo Viewer but that didn't solve the problem.  I also verified that typing 'assoc .jpg' into the Command Prompt resulted in .jpg=jpegfile but that didn't work either -- the dimensions still do not show up in the Details Pane when I view image folders as Icons/Thumbnails.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm interested in this, too.  I would like to have the option to specify, per file type, which properties appear in the details pane, which is the area below the list of files, above the status bar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Praseetha

I am wanting to change the equivalent registry but for folders (I am trying to get the size of the folder to show up in the detail pane), I see that there are different registries for all known file types organized according to suffix, however ffile folders don't have suffixes so I am wondering what that registry was called and whether you think that it's possible to get file folders to display that information or not

Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.