Missing Properties & Tags in Details Pane__Error 0x80004005

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit in my laptop since January. A few days ago I find a promblem with the details pane in the bottom of all the folders. Details pane is missing the most properties & tags of my files (music, pics, videos e.c). Only ones that are apearing are date created, file name and file size and date modified. The same happens when I right-click a file and choose properties. ALL properties seems to be missed.
In folders with music it happens the same. The tags of artists, albums, genres, rating e.c are missing (although in media player these properties excist). When I try to edit these properties I get an error window titled "Apply properties File" and it says: An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this promblem.
The same is happening in pictures, videos, files...

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error

(I have search the web about this error but everything I found doesn't relate my promblem.

I have trie a lot of ways to solve the promblem, like:
- Reset the folder options
- Restore my system
- Check my system for spyware, virus, malware etc with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (nothing founds)
- I also used sfc /scannow command.

I think it's a registry fault or a installation corruption.

Please if someone knows a way to fix this strange and disturbing promblem, apply to this message. I hope I will avoid to format my laptop.

Thanks

Hi johnsxz, 

Any recent changes made on your computer, like installing or upgrading any softwares/hardwares?

The details pane, located at the bottom of a folder window, displays the most common properties for a file. You can add or change file properties, such as tags, author name, and rating, from the details pane. Here's how:

1. Open the folder that contains the file you want to change, and then click (don't double-click) the file.
2. In the details pane at the bottom of the window, click next to the property that you want to add or change, type the new property (or change the property), and then click Save.

To add more than one property, separate each entry with a semicolon. To rate a file by using the ratings property, click the star that represents the rating you want to apply.

For more information visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-properties-for-a-file

Working with files and folders
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Working-with-files-and-folders

You may also try giving permission to all the files and then check if the issue persists.
For more information visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727008.aspx

Add or edit media information in Windows Media Player
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Add-or-edit-media-information-in-Windows-Media-Player

Hope this information is helpful.
Umesh P - Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had alread tried all these ways, but nothing.
The promblem remains

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Johnsxz,

What has changed in the time since the problem began occurring? Have you installed anything new? Would you mind creating a test account to see if the problem is reproduced there? When you said you restored, I assume you meant you did a system restore?

Lisa
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had installed and unistaledl a game and some apps and some upgrades also. I don't know which istallation cause the problem. So i used system restore and I rolled back my system 2 days before these installations, but its not fixed.
When you say to create a test acount, you mean to creat a second user account and log in with this?

What 's about the error code 0x80004005?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, please set up another user account to see if the problem occurs there. Also, you can you tell me which properties you are trying to add and to which type of files? I will try to reproduce the issue here. It seems I had the same luck with the error code as it seems pretty general.  I look forward to hearing back from you.

Lisa
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

None of the above solved the problem. I am not sure when mine occurred since I never tested until today. I am working with music (WAV filetypes) custom built files.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are we ever going to get an answer?  I get this problem when trying to apply a tag through Windows Explorer.  I am working with Excel, PowerPoint, and Word files.
I realize that there are workarounds; however I would rather not open each individual file and change the properties.  This worked fine in Vista.  Since upgrading to Windows 7 in December 2010, I have not been able to add a tag through Windows Explorer.  The existing tags don't even display.  grrrrrrr....

Sorry this didn't help.

i tried to create a new user, but the problem still there and got   error code 0x80004005

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

If you have attempted the steps listed in this thread but are still having an issue, please repost this as a new question at the link provided below.

Asking your own question helps the community help you specifically with your issue. Remember to include all the details (your version of windows, specs of your system, any error codes etc...) that you can when you start your own thread.

Microsoft Answers:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2020 Views 4,692 Applies to: