Logical drive keeps disappearing

One of partitions on my hard drive keeps disappearing (or rather converting itself to something unusable). May or may not have something to do with my connecting an old boot hard drive to the new system to transfer data. Tried numerous things (learned DISKPART pretty well) but to no avail so far. I'll try to provide the most relevant information below but happy to supply more if necessary.

Goal: Need 3 logical drives on my hard drive (my usual setup on all home machines, never gave me troubles in the past). The 1 TB hard drive on my system came partitioned into a 990 GB system partition and a 10 GB of what I assume to be a recovery partition.

Steps taken before problem noticed: in Disk Management console shrunk system partition to some 330 GB, created a logical drive 330 GB in size (letter I by default as other letters apparently taken by DVD and card reader, that gave me another primary partition), created another logical drive from the rest of disk space (J in an extended partition). Both new disks usable and I have actually put some stuff on I drive straight away. Connected the old hard drive to transfer data. Possibly made a critical mistake here as the system tried to boot up as XP from the old drive, resulting in BSOD and reboot. Reconnected the old drive using an enclosure and found that it took the I letter. In Disk Management the former I drive was reported as healthy primary partition, no disk letter and the only right-click option to delete volume. J drive was in place and behaving happily.

Problem description: any attempts to create a logical drive in the area next after system partition result in the same scenario: the partition gets created and can be used quite happily, but after reboot it becomes a primary partition with no drive letter and apparently no access to data. I have tried numerous ways to get rid of the "bad" partition and re-claim that disk space, simply deleting and re-creating being the most obvious one. Just to mention some more: extend the system partition and shrink it again; fully format the partition under DISKPART; remove the extended partition, create a new extended partition that claims the entire space in DISKPART and then create 2 logical drives in it. Same story over and over, absoultely doesn't matter if the old disk is present on the system. In the last described scenario both new drives were gone and the extended partition became a primary one, not really what I expected to happen. Speaking in DISKPART terms, whatever happens to be Partition 2 on that physical disk becomes an empty primary partition on reboot full stop.

Any suggestions???

I assume I should try creating a placeholder logical disk of a minimum possible size, let it become the "dead" partition and then create my 2 logical drives in an extended partition the system will generate. Will probably do it this way as I need the system up and running. My real concern is that I don't understand what is going on and I will not feel the data in my logical drives, even if they don't disappear on every reboot, are safe in any way. Therefore any real fix to the problem, ideally with an explanation of what exactly went wrong so I can avoid it in the future, will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrei

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 2,047 Applies to:

Hello andreibr,

1.       Are you logged in as an Administrator on your computer?

I suggest that you have a look at the below thread that talks about the same issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-i-get-windows-7-to-index-my-logical-drive/13a672b5-bb29-402c-ae1d-07eff9f6e680

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Irfan,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am an administrator (note that I can manipulate partitions) and yes the thread you are referring to mentions an issue that has something in common with mine. There are differences though. In particular:

- I have never tried to use drive letter A or B for any of my logical drives
- I cannot recall receiving "The parameter is incorrect" message

Finally, I don't see how the proposed solution applies in my case. What seems to happen is that if there is any partition called Partition 2 (and I don't have much control over partition numbering) on my physical drive then upon reboot it becomes a healthy (must be a joke) primary partition with no drive letter(s) associated, no access to previously stored data and "Delete" as the only right-click option. By the way, if this option is chosen I receive a message thar says something like "This partition was not created by Windows and may contain data, are you sure?". Well, to the best of my knowledge the partition was created by Windows 7. Of course the wording of the warning is not my main concern, but the only other OS that might have somehow interfered is Windows XP from my old hard drive, no playing with Linux or anything was involved.

Now, for the record, I am currently using the workaround I described in the last paragraph of my first post - that is, my Partition 2 is now a 8MB partition I don't really care about and the 2 extra logical drives sit within the extended Partition 3. However this is obviously a workaround, not a real solution. Let's just pretend I want back my Partition 2, or the 8MB, or whatever. What do I need to do? And how to avoid problems like this in the future? (I am going to get another machine soon and it is going to be partitioned in a similar manner so this is a real question, not just sheer curiosity.)

Thank you,

Andrei

Sorry this didn't help.

I have roughly the same problem.  Was running with a C, D, E and F drive partition.  One day both my E and F (logical) drives disappeared.  I was able to get them back until I restarted the computer.  The drives disappeared again.  In disk management only the C and D drives are listed and alot of unallocated space.  I recreated two logical drives and ran a disk check.  Everything was fine...until I restarted the computer.  They disappeared again.

The day they disappeared, I did get 3 VDS errors in event viewer.  Is this related to the problem and will a reformat fix this?

I am running my computer in administration mode.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.