Locked file and sharing - Microsoft Windows 7

I have a Windows 7 32 bit Sony VAIO.

When I was looking at a few items on my computer - I noticed that there are several ways of sharing - I noticed this by going into the right click and to the sharing tab and the security tab.

I have one file that is locked and comes up with errors that it is open in another location and changing the properties will loose any data that may be open.

How do I change the folder properties so that the file on my 1TB Seagate External Hard Drive can be used everywhere?

I also noticed that the file is on the Network - I do not have a Homegroup set up and I think that I have a Workgroup as we are visable to each other.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!547

This is a bit of a background on the set up

Have you set a password for the user account? We need to make sure that it is safe while accessing a network.

I think that one has been set up as I have a collection of numbers and letters that may be the Homegroup password.

As per the Homegroup pics in the Skydrive pics - HomeGroup is turned off - but it looks like Network is on. I am not too sure.

I have three computers – I would have to say that – the one with Vista is just not that active.
One – Windows Vista 64 HP Compaq (Sir Grant)
Two – Windows 7 64 Home Premium User Viao
Three – Myself – Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium

How many people have access to these computers?

Two – Myself and Grant

Post a screenshot of the Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts showing all the Users for all the machines.

I have done the Control Panel/User Accounts – I can not locate the Family Safety/User Accounts in the Control Panel.

The Windows Vista has a password – the others do not.

I am confused that you have a folder named Melissa & Grant. Have you both got access to this account and if so do you both use the same Password?

I think that may be a folder that is set up on my computer – I thought it was Mel Uni. It has been to Sony for a BSOD so that may have been when the change was made
I have noted that it is not available on Grant – User Viao computer

I set up the internet etc – so it would be all my doing. I have a password which looks like it is created by Windows when I was having issues with the WiFi and my Windows Mobile Phone

You said earlier "The other old one – Windows Vista HP 64 bit- I just set up to gain Internet access."

Can you explain this, have you not got internet access on the Windows 7 machine?

Both the Windows 7 machines have internet access via WiFi and SSID passwords. The other machine does not have access as I disconnected it.
I just wish no folders to be shared - I will keep it simple stupid

I am very ill. I am so sorry

This is the control panel from both computers

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!565

But a better updated Skydrive Account with Grant (USER VIAO) and Melissa (Melissa) with a basic picture on the way that Grant (User) can not join the HomeGroup and that I can not access his computer unless I enter a password.

Thank you for looking at my documents -

I have attached a skydrive screen shot library.

I have the error on the User (Grant) where it says that he can not enter into a HomeGroup.

I also have that he has access to my files and somehow my drives are shared with the other computer (User)

I am not too sure about the parental controls section - but included the screen shot.

You havee been most helpful and I appreciate all assistance as it is confusing to most standard users - only beginner learners like myself

Why would I (Melissa) be asked for a password for access via Network to Grant (User-VIAO) computer?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!615

Thanks again

If anyone could assist me - that would be appreciated.

Thank you

The Public folders
You can also share files and folders by copying or moving them into one of the Windows 7 Public folders, such as Public Music or Public Pictures. You can find them by clicking the Start button , clicking your user account name, and then clicking the arrow beside Libraries to expand the folders.

Public folder sharing is turned off by default (except on a homegroup).

To turn Public folder sharing on or off

When Public folder sharing is turned on, anyone on your computer or network can access these folders. When it's off, only people with a user account and password on your computer have access.

1.Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.

2.Click the chevron to expand your current network profile.

3.Under Public folder sharing, select one of the following options:

·Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders

·Turn off Public folder sharing (people logged on to this computer can still access these folders)

4.Click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Notes
· When you share the Public folder on your computer with other people, they can open and view the files stored there just as if they were stored on their own computers. If you give them permission to change files, any changes they make will change the files on your computer.

· If you click a Public folder or its contents, you'll see Advanced sharing settings in the Share with menu. This option takes you to Control Panel, where you can turn Public folder sharing on or off.

By turning on password-protect sharing in Control Panel, you can limit Public folder access to people with a user account and password on your computer. This option isn't available on a domain.

To turn password-protected sharing on or off

Public folders are included inWindows libraries.

To access shared files, folders, or libraries on other homegroup computers

1. Click the Start button , and then click your user name.

2. In the navigation pane (the left pane), under Homegroup, click the user account of the person whose files you want to access.

3. In the file list, double-click the library you want to access, and then double-click the item you want.

Homegroup

To stop sharing a file or folder

· Right-click the item you want to stop sharing, click Share with, and then click Nobody.

For more information visit the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Share-files-with-someone

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2021 Views 1,077 Applies to: