Library folders and favorite folders not showing, will not restore

I lost my favorite folders and after restoring them the restore point disappeared. It worked but when I logged on the next day, the situation was the same-folders not showing, but the restore points prior to the problem were no longer available. Now, the only 2 folders I have are Websites For America and Favorites Bar neither of which I saw before. When I tried to add the folder/s again, the message was that the folder/s already exist/s. I have the exact same problem with my Libraries and the restore to default command does not work. I have done a system restore three times to no avail. I have done the right click User retore option, and it does not work in the Libraries and doesn't appear available with the missing favorites. I should have saved the folder to desktop before I restored my missing favorites folders, but didn't and now cannot as the restore point is gone and the new restore points have no effect. How can I get the missing folders and libraries to show?

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2019 Views 11,181 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi David Yanagawa,

1) Did the issue start all on a sudden?

2) Did you do any recent changes to the computer after which the issue might have occurred.

First thing that comes to my mind would be “Virus”. Scan for any virus using any Antivirus software installed on the computer.

Follow the steps below and see if you can restore the favorites folder.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

If the Favorites folder seems to be empty, make sure that the folder still exists in the Windows folder. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type favorites, and then click Find Now.
3. Double-click the Favorites folder, and then verify that it contains your favorites.
4. If the folder exists and still contains your favorite locations, use Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) to correct the Favorites entry under the following registry keys. Change the Favorites entries to point to the correct location of the Windows\Favorites folder.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell folders

HKEY_USERS\.default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell folders

HKEY_USERS\.default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell folders

If the Favorites folder does not exist in the Windows folder, create a new Favorites folder in the Windows folder. You must then re-create your favorite items manually. To create a new Favorites folder, start Windows Explorer, double-click the Windows folder, right-click in the right pane, point to New, and then click Folder. Type Favorites, and then press ENTER. After you create the new Favorites folder, verify that the registry entries listed above contain the correct path to the Favorites folder.
About the library; are all the filer in the folder missing or is it only a specific type of files that is missing. Check if the files are not hidden by any chance. Follow the path below for the same.

Start>Computer>Tools>Folder options>View> Check mark Show hidden files and folders.

Let us know if this is not the case and for further assistance.

Varun J: MICROSOFT SUPPORT
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.