"Infinite" Application Data folders and subfolders

In Windows 7 (Ultimate 64-bit), Explorer and under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ there is a shortcut to Application Data in the left pane of Explorer. Every time I expand  that shortcut I get another "Application Data" shortcut. (I would love to provide a screen print - it's almost funny.) In my screen print shot down to the lowest level the path is: "C:\Users\Den\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data"- well, you get the message. The folders that are at the same level appear to continue to follow the same level as Application Data, for example: "C:\Users\Den\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Apps" These occurences of Application Data "disappear" on closing and re-opening of Explorer. So, what is happening here?

(BTW, I apologize for not remembering the responder, but thank you so much for the "select the file, shift-right click, "Copy As Path" - absolutely invaluable for UNC paths and including the path in email to co-workers. I've tried Ponte's toys, and these are not dependable.)

Many thanks!

Paul R.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2019 Views 17,700 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

In Windows 7 (Ultimate 64-bit), Explorer and under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ there is a shortcut to Application Data in the left pane of Explorer. Every time I expand  that shortcut I get another "Application Data" shortcut. (I would love to provide a screen print - it's almost funny.) In my screen print shot down to the lowest level the path is:

"C:\Users\Den\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data"- well, you get the message. The folders that are at the same level appear to continue to follow the same level as Application Data, for example:

"C:\Users\Den\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Apps" These occurences of Application Data "disappear" on closing and re-opening of Explorer. So, what is happening here?

Many thanks!

Paul R.

Hi Paul

The main problem is that the Application Data 'folder' is not a folder, it is called a Junction.

Some of the system folder names were changed in Windows 7 and to assure compatibility with older programs that are hard coded to look for these former names, Windows 7 uses Junctions with the older name to redirect these older programs to the new location.

The C:\Users\Den\AppData\Local\Application Data junction redirects to: C:\Users\Den\AppData\Local.

These Junctions have the permissions set to Everyone = Access Denied. They cannot be used as a folder to store any files.

This problem occurs when a user changes these permissions in an effort to force access to that junction. Changing the permissions allows any action to 'recursively walk through' the junction and this creates a recursion (Also called an infinite loop) the result of which is what you are describing.

Your best recovery option is to use System Restore to go back to a point before the permissions were changed. If this is not possible, see the following post to see how another member fixed the problem.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/4ec2c92c-a691-432b-b86a-c76d2b9a3faa/#ef7a1f00-542c-4858-b4ac-1e8a75a30cc8

There are many other Junctions in Windows 7 and these can be recognized by the Shortcut Arrow that is present on the folder icon. See the following post for the instructions on how to create a text file that shows all of the Junctions on Windows 7 and the target folder that they point to.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/20f32f0c-4cb9-4125-923d-6a57e4d27232/#59862ebd-e54d-4316-bf9a-fd89761ceff8

Let us know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP – Windows Expert - Consumer
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.