Question

Q: In Windows 7 when trying to copy files to an external hard drive, getting error "Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" This thread is locked from future replies

I know there have been a few posts on this in the past, but I have a slightly different query.
When copying files from my Windows 7 64 Bit NTFS drive to my Western Digital My Book World Edition II 2GB drive manually, not with the WD software provided), for some files, the following message appears.
"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?  The file X has properties that cannot be copied to the new location."
Upon investigating, it appears that Western Digital's My Book World Edition II isn't NTFS format and is, in fact, Linux driven.

Their technical support have confirmed that despite the message, it is safe to copy files and rely on this backup (I want to backup my entire HDD so I can do a clean install - so this really matters!).

Is anyone able to advise exactly what the message means in terms of properties being lost??

Answer

A:

If you right-click on one of the files in Windows Explorer and select Properties, you'll see on the Details tab some of the properties that wouldn't make it if the file were copied to a non-NTFS drive. They are written to an Alternate Data Stream (ADS), and FAT-formatted drives don't understand ADS.

It depends on the type of file how important those properties are. If you have spent a lot of time adding Titles and Comments and Authors and Authors' e-mail addresses to your Word documents' docprops, for example, that work would be lost.

If you can live with the loss of those properties, go ahead - standard properties will be re-written to the file when you restore it from backup. This will of course involve time and resources. 

To avoid the problem, format your external drive to use NTFS.

Noel

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

56 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 39,943 Last updated: April 19, 2018 Applies to: