I would like to know why I cannot rename the "Pictures" library to "Photo" library in Windows 7. Every time I try to rename it to that name, it pops back to "Pictures". I am able to rename it to other names, just not "Photo". This perplexes me.

I would like to know why I cannot rename the "Pictures" library to "Photo" library in Windows 7.  Every time I try to rename it to that name, it pops back to "Pictures".  I am able to rename it to other names, just not "Photo".  This perplexes me.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2018 Views 6,678 Applies to:
Answer
Dear Lisa -

Thank you for your reply.  I agree with you that it is puzzling as to why I am unable to rename the "Pictures" library to "Photo".  Interestingly, I have two computers here, a desktop and a laptop, and I WAS able to name the "Pictures" library to "Photo" on my desktop.  But I am unable to do that on the laptop, and I think that it's that difference in behavior that has so perplexed me.  Every time I type in "Photo" in attempting to rename the laptop's library, the name immediately jumps back to "Pictures".  I am running Windows 7 Professional on both machines.

I think that your idea about creating a temporary special user account on my laptop is an excellent idea, and I will try that.  Actually in earlier days, for other problems, I have found that to be an excellent troubleshooting technique.

I will do it and I'll provide you with some feedback on what I find in that effort.

I thank you for your idea.

Rich304

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Go to "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\"

Show all system files.

Delete "Desktop.ini".

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.