I can not access my own files, and I getting quite frustrated, how do I?

Here is a summary of this quite complicated situation, I need help with. I get an error saying I do not have access, as I've seen with questions here, but it isn't as simple as changing the permissions. I refuse to pay anything at all for tech support simply to access my own files that I have every right as the owner of the computer, and attached hardware, to access.

I am getting an error when I try to access certain files on a drive, in windows 7: Professional

The situation is this. I have two computers. One is a Dell Studio 1555 Desktop with Windows XP Professional, and my second computer is a Windows 7 Desktop, I bought through a company called Cyberpower PC, that was custom build for me. On my Windows XP computer. I decided I needed to wipe the hard drive clean- to get rid of some malware. However, before doing so, as not to lose any data- I made a copy of the entire hard drive as an OMG image file on an external USB hard drive with a program called Laplink Disk Image. What I am trying to do is access certain files on the image, by connecting the hard drive to my Windows 7 Computer, mounting the OMG image and accessing it.

Specifically, in this case, the directory is: mounted hard drive letter (this varies, but it is the mounted image) /Documents and Settings/Sean. I get the following error: (which I do NOT get when trying to access the directory with my Windows XP machine) You don't currently have permission to access the folder- Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder. After which I click continue, I get a message saying “You have been denied permission to access this folder- to gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab” I click the blue security tab link and at this web address I found some explanation as to why this happens and what to do

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/

Since I want access to the entire hard drive. I right click the mounted hard drive after clicking the windows button in the bottom left and clicking computer, then I right choose the security tab. Here There are 5 different group and user names entries in that box. I didn't create any of them, they came with the computer.

They are: 1. Everyone, 2. CREATOR OWNER, 3. System 4. Administrators (Sean PC-Desktop Administrators) 5. Users (Sean-PC Desktop\Users)

The instruction say to click the advanced button, but don't say which entry to choose. So I click advanced, under the everyone entry, which brings me to the Advanced Security Settings for OS G:. I go the owner tab, where it says Current Owner is Administrators (Sean-PC-Desktop\Adminstrators) and it also says Change Owner to: Sean (Sean-PC Desktop\Sean) I click the edit button and I get the message “You only have permission to view the current owner on OS (G:)”

As far as the changing permission part of it is concerned, Again there are 5 group or user names entries in that box. I do not know what account I am signed in under. There are two when I start my system (Administrator- which I will get to below) and Sean, I use the Sean account when I start my system. When I select the Everyone entry and click edit it brings me to the Permissions for OS:G, with all of the group or usernames mentioned previously. No matter which one I choose, I can not click any of the boxes under allow or deny, they simply do not respond to my clicks.

A suggestion tech support at Laplink suggested was that I could not change the ownership or permissions because I was not signed in under the hidden adminstator account. The tech suggested in an online chat I enable it by doing what this website suggests

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

But, this does not solve the problem, either. After rebooting and logging on under the adminstrator account, mounting the image and going to the security, advanced then owner, it also says the owner is Administrators (Sean-PC-Desktop\Adminstrators), but there two entries under change owner to which are

1. Adminstrators (Sean-PC-Desktop\Administrator)

2. Administrators(Sean-PC-Desktop\Adminstrators)

Once again when I click edit I get the message “You only have permission to view the current owner on OS G:”)

Another thing that was suggested was to do this

Type

takeown /f C:\
press enter

You will see a success message the file c:\ now owned by.. "your user name".

next still at cmd prompt type:-

icacls C:\ /grant your user name: drive letter of mounted image
press enter

This does not work either, I get the message when using the disk that came with the system; “This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows”

I do not have another recovery disk, just the restore disc that came with my Windows 7 computer. Here is the full thread of that conversation, if needed

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-access-folders-in-windows-7-a-689222-2.html

Answer
Answer
Hi,

An access denied error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:
  • The folder ownership may have changed
  • You do not have the proper permissions
  • The file may be encrypted

Method 1: I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link:

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Method 2: I would suggest you to disable all the antivirus and firewall and check if the issue persists.

Disable antivirus
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Note: Microsoft does not recommend that you turn off antivirus protection under most conditions. Turn off antivirus protection only temporarily to restore a computer.

Post us the results once you try the above steps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2018 Views 707 Applies to: