How to view classic folder display/icons in Windows 7?

Hello, I recently got a new computer running Windows 7, and I wanted to see about changing the folder view--not the folder tree, but the way the actual folders appear, specifically for folders containing photos. I have a lot of photos in different folders, and my old computer displayed each folder as a flat, square folder with 4 little preview images of what is in the folder. The new version of Windows displays the folder vertically with the folder open and the documents/photos inside spilling out, I have the view set to "extra large icons" but it is still difficult to tell what is in each folder, I really want to go back to the old way. I looked in the folder options in the control panel but don't see anything for a classic view. Help?
Thanks,
Jason
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Jason,

By design of the Operating system, the Folder display icon is set to be as such in Windows 7 Operating system.

Your suggestion is valuable to us. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be. Please leave your feedback at the link below.

Give Us Feedback for Windows 7

Windows 7 Feedback

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

There was a time, when Apple/Macintosh users used to say that Mac's were better, because they were more user friendly in visual interface media. At the time of Windows XP (or virtually any Windows operating system before Vista), you could very easily shut that Mac argument down, as it was a total breeze to bop to and fro through all your picture folders, identify immediately (visually) any folders by picture folder icons alone, place freely any pictures in any order as you pleased (nix Auto Arrange), and highlight and rename any groups of photos on a whim. Now, with any Windows after Vista and 7, you start looking over at the Mac user, and dreaming how great things had once been.

Quick Example: After photographing flowers all day, and downloading them into a computer, I want to be able to freely separate the red, yellow, orange, and blue flowers from the each other, rename them all right there as they are. Then cut n' paste them in the appropriate folders, and visually see and identify all the folders easily, as what (colors) they are. “A picture is worth a thousand words” hammered home.

It is fine to add more options for people to make things easier to work for themselves. Why take away something efficient, that people were using, and happy with.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2021 Views 42,681 Applies to: