How to restore a document from Word Pad that I DID save but computer crashed while it was open!

Hi!

I've already read several similar help columns but none refer to my situation.

I DID save the Word Pad document!   I saved it at 6:00, 6:15, 6:30  then between 6:30-6:45  I opened too many windows on IE 10 so computer crashed (another day another story)...

Computer rebooted back up ok.... It did not even give me choice of going to safe mode as just IE 10 was overloaded so was not serious crash.

But when I re opened my Word Pad and found that the FILE that I had just saved (says 6:30 successfully saved)  has  about two lines on it... the first two correct lines as I remember them!  and rest of the screen and file is blank!  Size 1K when it should be 18 K etc or so.... lots lots lost.

Never fear!  I have a backup to the back up... so I went and exited the Word pad... and reopened my older 6:15 version.

What is going on here?????  The same two lines have been saved only and rest of page is BLANK SPACE..

Ditto for the 6:00 one... How is that possible with different save times?  And different FILE names!

Ok I've been working on this same file which I separately saved under  NEW FILE NAMES each day...  i.e. 9-1. 9-3 and 9-4

I'M SHOCKED!!!  all of them just show the  file damaged as only same two lines!!!

(I digress here::  to get the question out of the way: I don't have a Virus as recently I had another question here and someone suggested I might have one and did every one of the Norton NIS, and malwarebytes.com etc. I have on computer and came up clean.  I even went to Norton for extra help with their power eraser and it found a hidden one,  it was not good, but it was a small virus not a red color bad bad one that was easily quarantined and removed by Norton power eraser and this was two weeks or longer ago....)

What is going on with my Word Pad???

I thought if you (and others) said in other posts here in Microsoft and in other Yahoo answers etc)  columns if you regularly save the file...  (See: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-to-restore-a-document-from-wordpad-i-didnt/8577b0d6-8a2b-4448-aa56-e5a8d1f36cf8  )   this cannot happen!

ESPECIALLY if I never like saving over the same file over and over, so I always  change something in the title of the saved file [like day of the week at least so that I only lose the day's work..... at worst...] so that I save always brand new files, rarely (like today unfortunately)  do I re save over the same file but that was only 3x and read and understand what happened below (ask me questions if you don't understand this please!  ).  

But this  crash took out all three of the 6:00, 6:15 and 6:30 saved files PLUS the prior two days work and saved files!!

How is it possible for Word Pad to do this when I did not open those files today at all until I started going backwards on my list of files trying to find a file where I could pick up where I left off and type the missing words in I did this evening......

Today, I only opened the 9-3-14 file  at  9 am... wrote a bit.... save and closed it and did not add to it until I did a  lot of work at 6:00 EST and saved it 6:00,  6:15,  6:30  (approx. times I'm trying to be brief here not details I can provide some type of screen shots if someone needs it )

I hope that by my using web page here and  typing on another word processor these notes and saving them before posting them.... that I did not erase the files or overwrite them.

Yes, I read another column here.... and went to check "temp" files and not there...

I used a deleted file program "Recuva"  to find and restore the file if it can... so far nothing on the basic search I also used the "Deep Search" and it got done in less than the  4 hrs it said ..  but only files that came up deleted were ones I know about ... plus ordering them by date just two files I purposely deleted from Word pad back on 8-26-14...  so the missing files are still "missing"!! 

Wrote and went over this Forum posting for comprehension..... I hope this is clear what I'm asking about....

Somehow the files that I did not have open during the crash are not saved as well... but how is that possible when I used them over several days that I did not turn off the computer and re saved them each day under a new title?????

This is perplexing and confusing to me...

If you are confused too, please ask me questions to make it clear to you.

Another question today:  

Before I try rewriting everything over again using Word Pad... I would need to know from someone's advice and information... that if I save a new file----- am I overwriting the space that "was" used for the old file and therefore never going to be able to attempt to recreate or restore that old file by any program or method....  so I'm not doing anything but staying on computer and posting this on your Forum..

Thanks everyone for reading this very long posting.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

I have Windows 7 Professional on laptop with i5 Intel chip and full 8GB memory storage, 500 GB HD.  Anything else you need to know?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try the following to see if any of the earlier versions are not corrupted.

Restore deleted documents - Windows 7 includes a rarely documented feature that just may stop you from screaming, pulling your hair out and save your day by recovering that all important file or document.

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Expand the 'Libraries' folder.

3) Expand the 'Documents' folder.

4) Right click on 'My Documents'

5) In the drop down list click on 'Restore previous version'.

6) Double click on the each of the 'Date modified' entries, if your document is listed then click 'Copy' and 'Paste' it back to the 'Documents' folder.

Note: If you choose ‘Copy’ option, the entire contents of the folder as it was at that point in time can be copied to another local folder or to a location on an external USB drive.

You can also ‘Copy’ a single file from the Shadow Copy backup and ‘Paste’ it back to it original location.

How to recover delete files using the Restore Previous Versions feature in Windows 7
http://www.pagestart.com/win7rstrprvver07211101.html

Microsoft Community Wiki article:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_7-files/how-to-recover-deleted-files-using-the-restore/3fa24978-dc7e-4a9f-8dc8-de89c3fe963c

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the info!

Shocked and surprised at this hidden program!  (so not pulling hair out right away)...  Hope I get to the restore point before 1 day goes by as don't know what is being copied over yet..

One problem!  How do I print out a copy of the many steps of instructions on that link which shows me exactly how to do this?  I always try to print out things but this is not letting me!  Print Preview on the IE 10 bar only shows "page 1" and other pages are gone.. not even the page 1 you see on web page...

Why not?  I'm using the same HP printer I always use for documents and web.. is there a reason why I can't print out these pages (and there is more and more continued pages showing how I can increase the storage from 7% to higher ones but I can't follow it switching back and forth the screens .... I need a HARD copy to use and read and make notes on it..... 

So sorry,  I'm still a paper person not a computer person and no second computer with the ability to access this same info at same time.. no second screen no second tv set etc etc..

Thanks for any additional advice!  Waiting to try this out... hope I don't overwrite in the meantime... 

Microsoft is so smart to create this shadow copy...  why aren't they fixing some other problems I've noticed and asked about over the years?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using IE11 and when I click File / Print Preview is shows 1 of 4 pages.

You could try a File / Save to a folder and then exit IE10. Next double click on the file you create and see if you can print it.

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you J W Stuart for all your helpful suggestions and hints.

Question: Is that "pagestart.com" address and funny "door" icon all your doing?  Its very helpful.. I'm going to check out the other sections on that page when this problem is "solved"

Speaking of this current Word Pad lost document problem... Thank you for the information about printing as  I printed out the sheet and followed along the screen shots and instructions and I found out the following:

The only one that was "saved" under prior versions was 9-1-14 at the beginning of the week.  Clicking on the 9-2-14, 9-3-14 and 9-4-14 saved versions only got me the phrase "there are no previous versions available!"  without exclamation mark....

I can't believe that given that the documents were saved multiple times on each day.... and every 24 hours I always change the date to not lose much if I lost anything...

This is a loss all the way back in work to 9-1-14...  as if I just deleted the file..  but of course I did not delete the file.. Recuva says so and Recycle bin has NOTHING in September 2014 so far, that is how little I delete files...

I know from your "pagestart.com" how to fix it in future to allow for bigger save space and more frequent savings... but given your statement on the "pagestart.com" which says:

quote:  "...By default, shadow copy will save a copy of your files once a day,....."

Evidently, the system is not saving daily copies which should have occurred 9-1-14. 9-2-14, 9-3-14 and 9-4-14 at least any one of those earlier ones would have given me more information to go on...

Following the instructions given at "startpage.com" ----"Change when System Restore points are created" I checked the trigger events for "SR" and they are just as you printed twice 12 midnight and at system start up..  I do work the midnight shift so no need to change it I use computer heaviest 12 to 4 am and at various times during the day i.e. 24/7 work here.... anyway.... I could do another save point later on but for this discussion it confirms that saves where done on 9-4-14 and next one will be 9-6-14... don't know why it skipped 9-5-14 unless that was messed up during the crash... but the crash was 9-4-14 at 6:40 p.m., remember? so nothing to do with the trigger or process of saving it was not saving then not running in the background when computer crashed so nothing to interfere with it... I do not shut down the laptop unless told to do so by Java, Windows or adobe updates.... else its on 24/7 generally so I see I could shut it down more often to trigger a save point..  but it does not explain why the 9-1, 9-2,9-3 and 9-4 versions of the Word Pad documents were not shadow saved during the process...

I did not restore back to original file (thanks!)  I put it on external flash drive and opened it "with" Word Pad there...  The only thing I found on the 9-1-14 was one paragraph..  (longer than two lines but I know I wrote more as I have the time I typed.. 8 am till 10 am  and when I saved it at 10 am or so....  the shadow copy says it was made...

Unfortunately this was my sole occupation (other than web pages for information and searches which I used in text of the document i.e. how to spell words etc. looking them up  constantly) that and maybe I opened Email a few times (I never open weird messages I delete them so no Viruses can come in to computer)---so I have no other file to compare to see if in the past the system has been saving files on a "daily" basis as the quote above says they do.

Question:   What should I do at this point to get back the file?

I noted the one paragraph file has increased from 1K to 3K  this is still very bad as I know I had over 25 pages on the Word Pad and  I usually print things out but since this was going to be "emailed" later I just decided that I would wait until I finished composing the message on Word Pad and transferred to my Email system to mail it out...

As it is  there is no email and lots of items I wrote I took no notes and have no idea what I said exactly except the subject matter in general...  no help to me in reconstructing this lost stuff.

----------------------------

New idea...  I know a bit..

Multiple Questions:  Doesn't files that are deleted put like a question mark or something in the front to say they are no longer used by the computer?  So if that is true and Recuva  and other attempts by me in temp files to find these come up empty... where did all the files go?  I know I could have expected and I accept I'd lose the 9-4-14 file as It was almost ready to Email... as the computer crashed...

But I thought files saved in the memory are there until I press "delete" or even if deleted accidentally the "question mark" or some other character is changed at the first or second letter of  the file name to prevent the computer from accessing it again... its not overwritten immediately or destroyed....

Question:  Is my computer knowledge faulty about this process in Windows?... did not Google this or check before posting....

This is crazy.... its like saying when the computer crashed all my HP files on how to print were vanished....  (I know its not a virus as I repeated the Virus scans done two weeks ago for another reason)....

Question:  What is going on (no not pulling hair out... its a mystery story to me and I like solving mysteries on computers)....  I do want the file back again....

Thanks to you, and anyone else who reads all of this.... sorry its long but that is how I explain things and the reason for 25 pages on Word Pad for a simple Email draft.......

Sorry this didn't help.

Quick question: Have you checked the Recycle Bin?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, checked Recycle Bin before and now again..  one photo deleted on 9-1-14 (a screen shot taken for use in the Email, once pasted I did not need original taking up drive space).  Everything else is back in August or earlier! 

So you can understand that since I was taking current screen shots or using web to find things and not bookmarking them, just using the information that I really need the original stuff as I wrote it and not trying to reproduce it again from scratch.. since I only have 1 paragraph so far with the shadow save method instead of pages and pages of Word Pad items.

Thanks for thinking of that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi J W Stuart:

Just thought it might be relevant to add in, that right now, since 9-4 2014 (in case someone is reading this in future),  I'm NOT using any of the included Microsoft Windows Word programs :  "Word"  "Word Pad" "Notepad" as I am without any confidence that they are being saved, even via "shadow copy" method. 

Why? Because what is the use of typing on them , unless I print out each page I type, or every few minutes save it to a outside the computer flash drive, which I'm not even sure the program will read that.  So if for some reason all of my word programs are being corrupted...(and who knows if it is some form of corruption, that I can spread to the flash drive...which will come back later to the computer if I ever get this fixed!

I'm resorting to typing on my blank "Email" draft letter mode on the web and printing out the file or saving it off the computer on my Email if I want anything typed..... so yes I thought of that temporary fix.. but for longer documents, it won't work, as other older computer problems keep me from being "signed in for long on the web"  so I'm down to writing small one page or less notes on computer using that Email draft mode...  I don't want to "test" any of the word programs for fear that they are "overwriting" somewhere whatever pieces of the FOUR  Word Pad programs files I have mysteriously lost forever....

Thanks again if you can figure out why and what happened so I can fix this , get what I lost back and stop it from occurring again!

Sorry this didn't help.

1) Run chkdsk as follows:

Open a command Prompt by right clicking and select 'Run as Administrator'
and then at the command prompt type:  chkdsk  /f  /r    then press the enter key.

If prompted to schedule the volume to be checked the next time the system/PC restarts,
enter: y

Now reboot the PC.

Also if you know the manufacture of your hard drive you can download their diagnostic software.

Another utility: SpeedFan has an online health analysis feature
(SMART tab) for hard drives. It will show how your drives
compares with other drives of the same make and model.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Note: Unfortunately now includes a lot of bloat-ware, be very careful when you install to opt out of bloat-ware.

=====================================================================

2) Run the  SFC   /SCANNOW    command. This will check and repair if necessary any critical Windows system files.

Click on Start/All programs/Accessories  then
Right click on Command Prompt option and select 'Run as administrator'.
(or "Safe Mode" open a Command prompt)
At the command prompt enter:  SFC  /SCANNOW

Windows 7 - SFC SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again JW Stuart!

I did the 2 easy ones first:   CHECKDISK CHKDSK ran and closed without any report, so I assume its ok?

SFC /SCANNOW  Result:  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any Integrity Violations"

Question:  Ok, what is next to try on your list?

(Thanks for the warning about the bloatware (good new word I learned what to call that junk free programs stuff) ... I usually don't like even taking such freeware programs into computer for fear they will do more harm than good.... [only exception was "malwarebytes.com"] so I first checked CNET ,  what others have to say about the safety of  "SpeedFan" before I continue.....and it appears to be a utility that regulates the speed of the cooling fan... for those who are overclockers  (I have a desktop which once did that, but its back to regular speed and no need to speed up laptop or overclock it.. so again explain what am I using this utility for???)

More information that might or might not be useful:

I replaced my original slow HD on the laptop with a faster HD before windows was installed at the store... so I know the company that I have for the current HD I've had  since day one, is Seagate, Momentus 7200.4 500 GB 16MB Cache, what else do you need?

Thanks again!

Sorry this didn't help.

Test your drive using the drive utilities listed below.

HD Tune:  (Free version)
Provides drive info and has an option (error scan tab ) to test your drive.
http://www.hdtune.com/

If you have a new Seagate hard drive the very next thing would be to download Seagate's Seatools
(the bootable CD) and check for bad sectors.
Seatools Info: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
Seatools for Windows download: http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/saturn/seatools-win-master/
Seatools for DOS download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2020 Views 24,269 Applies to: