How to diable offline file sync.

I need to disable offline file synching in windows 7 so that files do not synch with the network.  Does anyone know how to disable this in windows 7?
|
Hi,

Sync Center is used to manage your Offline Files from your network. The ability to use Offline Files is enabled by default in Windows 7, but can be disabled.

You may follow the steps below to disable the use of offline files.

a.     Open the Control Panel (All Items view), and click on the Sync Center icon.
b.     In the left pane, click on the Manage offline files link.
c.     Click on the Disable offline files button.
d.     If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), then click on Yes.
e.     Click on OK.
f.      Click on Yes to restart the computer.

NOTE: This will restart the computer immediately. Be sure to save anything that you have open first.

g.     If you enabled Offline Files, then all you need to do now is to make the network files or network folders you want always available offline.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

10 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I cannot click the disable offline files button !
HansCardoen

7 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sync Center is used to manage your Offline Files from your network. The ability to use Offline Files is enabled by default in Windows 7, but can be disabled.

You may follow the steps below to disable the use of offline files.

a.     Open the Control Panel (All Items view), and click on the Sync Center icon.
b.     In the left pane, click on the Manage offline files link.
c.     Click on the Disable offline files button.
d.     If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), then click on Yes.
e.     Click on OK.
f.      Click on Yes to restart the computer.

NOTE: This will restart the computer immediately. Be sure to save anything that you have open first.

g.     If you enabled Offline Files, then all you need to do now is to make the network files or network folders you want always available offline.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

In my case I had a subtle issue, each time my users click on a link to network share the users got an access denied message. If the same share is mapped with an IP address then the users are able to access the share without and issue. Sounds as a name resolution issue.. no it was not. We had to disable Offline File Sync and voila the users are now able to access files with the original mapped share name. Thanks much, this post has helped resolve my users issue. Thanks.

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Similarly, I would like to disable offline files for a particular share programmatically.

Our customers use our database application, some people who setup our software, may forget to go into the share's properties, advanced sharing, caching and set to "No files or programs from the shared folder are available offline". Often nobody uses offline files, but occasionally if they do this creates a major issue.

I need a way to read this setting to warn my user to change it, or set the setting with my program. This would be on Windows 7. Thanks in advance!

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2021 Views 62,751 Applies to: