How do I search for parenthesis?

Greetings,

How do I search for a file that includes parenthesis? I need to search for files that include the following three characters: "(2)". But the search ignores my parenthesis and returns everthing with a "2" in it. I've tried putting my search in quotes, but it didn't help.

Thanks,
Shane.

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit; Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385
|
Answer
Answer
...Also, the quotes are extraneous and can be left off.
~ is the literal string indicator and what follows has to match the entire file name that's why the asterisks were included. You can also do the following:
~*(2)*
~*(2).doc
~this_is_my(2).doc
~th?s*(2).???
Tim
I have just moved over to a new laptop and ended up duplicating a load of pdf files that ended up with (2).pdf at the end.I wanted to select them all and delete easily and am glad I found this thread. I would like to clarify that the parenthises are required.

I tried searching for ~*(2).pdf but this did not bring up the desired results. The search brought up everything I was looking for, but it also included many more results I did not expect to appear. Namely those with 2 anywhere in the file name. Examples that were shown in the results included files ending in such things as:

2-RD30.pdf
issue 2.pdf
volume 2 issue 5.pdf

Using quotation marks around the search term ie. ~"*(2).pdf" worked in the way I wanted and only brought up the duplicated files I was searching for.

56 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I was having a serious problem with this, too, and found the following from another forum:

name:~"*(2)*"

which in my case finds any files with a (2) in the name.  Totally 'tarded, and there should be an intuitive way for searching on parenthesis.  It is the worst!  I think this is emblematic of why Microsoft will not win in the long haul.  They think like techies for interface design, and they're too set to change.

176 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2021 Views 53,379 Applies to: