How do I search a folder WITH ITS SUBFOLDERS in Windows7 please?

when I run a search in Windows 7, only one folder at a time is searched.  How do I broaden a search to a folder and all of its subfolders?  Vista did that automatically; Windows 7 does not seem to do so.

Thanks!
Answer
Answer

I had the same prob & none of the answers on this page helped. I mucked around a bit & ticked a box in the search options folder Called "Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files" Problem fixed... although the title of the tick box has nothing to do with searching sub folders, whenever it's not ticked I can't search any subfolders.

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Ok here is the scoop. If you are searching in a folder selected from underneath the "Libraries" folder (Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures, Etc.) it does not search subfolders. I do not know why, but if you go to your "C:\Users\'username'" and open the needed folder (or even just in your UN folder), it will search subfolders. I think it is either a glitch, or because Libraries is just a phantom name for a grouping, the search doesnt work. You have to be directly in the folder, or the folder directly above it, not in a windows "cloud" version of it like the ones in Libraries.

Sorry if this is hard to follow, i'm a better techy than a teacher. Hope this helps

Rick Flach
Live Out Loud Media & Design

Hi Rick

Open Windows Explorer.

Select Organize / Folder and Search options.

Select the Search Tab.

In the How to search section, select the Include subfolders in search results when searching in file folders option.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 15, 2020 Views 96,864 Applies to: