how do i place user directories on a separate drive?

when i installed win 7 i also repartitioned my hd into 2.  how do i direct my user directories to go to the other partition?

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2019 Views 41,446 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
No, you didn't overlook it. Can't be done like that.

Did you already try the "MKLINK" method?

1.Enable administrator account and set a password for it.
2.Logoff and login with administrator account
3.Relocate your user data to other non-system partion,for example from C:\users\J  to D:\users\J
4.Use mklink to create a symbolic link from C:\users\ to D:\users\
mklink /D C:\Users\J  D:\users\J
5.Re-login using your own account, you should find nothing changed but your physical user data is on drive D.

Another method:
You can also open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.
In that folder, you change value of the Default key to U:\Users\Default, the Public key to U:\Users\Public, and the ProfilesDirectory to U:\Users (or whatever drive you like.)
Then create a new user and it will default to those settings.
Move your files to the new user's folders (robocopy?) and reboot, logging in as new user.

That should accomplish what you are looking for.
Pretty? No.
But it works.
VP Tech Services
VP Tech Services

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

There is no clean (and Microsoft endorsed) way to do this, but not impossible.

I have answered a similar question so I'll direct to that thread here.

Ideally, to do what you're looking for, Windows should have implemented an interface for relocating a user profile folder (%USERPROFILE%) just like you can relocate your Documents folder (by clicking on Documents folder > Properties > Location tab > Move button ...).
This is a missed opportunity for Windows 7: separating user data from the operating system, as a recognised feature, is long over due. There is no reason why the user data has to reside on the same partition as the operating system. The separation is nearly there, but there is no Microsoft endorsed approach for relocating %USERPROFILE% on to a different partition.

I intend to make that answer as complete as possible in the near future so you can attach an alert to it.

samc1

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.