How do I make the status bar in Explorer work properly?

Hi,

There are two key things i can't get Windows 7 to do:

1) When in a folder, with nothing selected, Windows 7 does not show the total file size taken up by all files.
2) This is even worse: when I click a file, say an image, the status bar just says "1 item selected". Well yes, I can count to one... but what is the file date? And size? These details aren't shown.

I could do all this before Windows 7, but can't now. Sure I know I can right click things and select Properties and click OK etc, but that's a lot of clicks and way more complicated. I want the status bar to work again.

I have searched high and low but can't find a way to fix/customize the status bar.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
Answer
Answer

Skb17,

Welcome to the Microsoft Answers Community.

To see the folder size when you point to it, go to the Organize drop down in Explorer > Folder and Search Options > click on the View Tab > select the Display file size information in folder tips check box, and then click Ok.

To see the dates and size of a specific image, again go to Organize drop down > Layout > and check Details pane. Now when you click on an image, the information will be displayed in the Details Pane at the bottom of your Windows Explorer

More information here:

Working with Files and Folders

I hope this helps!

Lisa
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2020 Views 2,560 Applies to: