How do I get Windows 7 to index my logical drive?

I have a logical drive ('B') (with all my 'data' files, eg., txt, doc, eml, jpg, etc).  Windows 7 indexing seems to not recognize it.  There are tens of thousands of files on that drive, yet Indexing only finds about 2,000 files (presumably on my system drive in my User/ area, also indexed).

Here's some information:

* The drive's 'Properties' 'Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed...' is checked

* ControlPanel->Indexing, Modify, was used to select the logical drive.  It shows up on the list of 'Index these locations' with a drive icon.

* About 2,000 files are found (probably on C drive).  When I create a new file on C dirve, it is found by Search (in StartMenu).  When I create a new file on the logical drive (B:\), it is NOT found.

* I tried the regedit hack relating to SetupComplete (or something like that), which cleared the Indexing list.  Re-entered it, got the same result (ie., logical drive is listed but ignored when index is complete).

* 'Troubleshooting' doesn't find any problems.

This is on Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

I'd appreciate any ideas for how to get Indexing to index my logical drive.

Answer
Answer
I managed to find a work-around to Indexing not working on drives assigned the letter 'B'.

As you’ll recall, I initially created a disk partition and assigned the letter ‘B’, relying upon Microsoft’s web page (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter) that says for systems with no floppy drives, A or B can be used as drive letters like any other.  However, the Indexing service wouldn’t index B, and when B was configured for indexing, Windows Explorer relied upon the index and wouldn’t do a ‘brute force’ search – so it was not possible to find files on B.

I tried changing the drive letter, using Disk Management.  That seemed to work but after the first reboot, the drive disappeared, and Disk Management showed the partition as having no letter – and it would not assign a new letter (giving a “The parameter is incorrect” message).  Fortunately the command-line tool ‘diskpart’ would still work.  It showed a drive letter assigned.  By changing the letter back to ‘B’ I was able to regain access to my files – but still Indexing would not work on B.

To solve (work around) this problem, I created a new partition (‘E’) and used Windows Explorer to copy all but System Volume Information and Recycling Bin from B to the new E partition.  Then I used Disk Management to change B to Y (which, after a reboot, disappeared, as before).

I configured Indexing to ignore Y and index E.  That worked.

Later I went to configure Volume Shadow similarly, but it bombed when opening System Protection – it got ‘Catastrophic error’ (the event viewer said it was ‘access denied’).  I solved that by changing Y back to B (using Disk Management), opening System Protection, deselecting B and adding E, and then changing B back to Y.  Evidently System Protection fails when a drive it is managing has a blank drive letter.

Later I will delete the Y partition (the old, original volume that was created as B).

My guess is this:  Microsoft probably has software that still think volumes with letters A and B are floppy disks.  I’m guessing something in the partition creation software (Disk Management) marked my partition (‘B’) as a ‘removable floppy’.  So when it was changed to a different drive letter, it was OK until a reboot, at which time perhaps it was seen as an empty floppy drive and not ‘loaded’ (hence invisible to Windows Explorer and System Protection).  Meanwhile, Indexer may also have a bug in that it still thinks volumes with B are floppies, or was misled by some config error created by Disk Management, and thus didn’t index, thinking it was a floppy.

Bottom line:  As GTS-NJ said above, I’d avoid assigning drive letter B (or A) to disk partitions.  I don’t think Microsoft has fully purged their software of references to floppy drives.  And probably lots of other software out there still has similar issues.

Microsoft:  I think the Microsoft software and web page (referenced above) should be brought into sync.  There are several issues mentioned above that the product team would probably like to know about.

The apparently incorrect Microsoft web page cost me about 3 days of work.  (No wonder large organizations are reluctant to upgrade OS.)   But at least now problems have been identified so they can be addressed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2018 Views 3,541 Applies to: