How can I move log files in Windows 7

I want to move the log files in Windows 7 off my C: drive to reduce the number of trivial writes to my SSD which reduce its useful lifetime.  Thank you.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Aro Bugger,

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Back up the registry
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

To move Event Viewer log files to another location on the hard disk, follow these steps:

a.    Click Start, and then type regedit, and then click OK.

b.    Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog

c.    Click the subkey that represents the event log that you want to move, for example, click Application.

d.    In the right pane, double-click  File.

e.    Type the complete path to the new location (including the log file name) in the Value data box, and then click OK.

For example, if you want to move the application log (Appevent.evt) to the Eventlogs folder on the E drive, typee:\eventlogs\appevent.evt.

f.     Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each log file that you want to move.

g.    Click Exit on the Registry menu.

h.    Restart the computer.

Regards,
Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2019 Views 5,300 Applies to: