How can I get permission to transfer files from my old hard drive which were protected by user accounts?

Ok.  I had an old laptop (Acer 5920G) which would not power up and consequently I ended up purchasing a new latop to replace it.  My old laptop ran Windows Vista Home Premium and my new latop is running Windows &.  I have connected the hard drive from my old laptop as an external hard drive to my new laptop and I can see all folders etc.  However I want to be able to recover documents which were stored in user accounts on my old laptop.  Thus far I haven't been able to successfully change ownership of the folders I want to access.  When I follow the steps I get a message which says 'An error occurred while applying security information to: [file path] the system cannot find the specified file' or 'An error occurred while applying security information to: [file path] access denied'.  This message appears for every folder within each user accounts folder.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Krimes 

Answer
Answer

Here is the full procedure:

Right-click the folder, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ and Apply > OK. You will only have the ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ box for folders not files. Click Yes when you receive the Security pop-up window then click OK to the Close/Reopen message.

Now go back to the Properties > Security Tab. Click Edit > Add. Type in your User Account Name in the box under Enter the objects name to select. Click on Check Names > OK. Click on your User Account Name to highlight it. Check the box for Full Control > Apply and OK etc.

Additionally, you may want to add Take Ownership to the right-click menu http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html?filter[2]=Networking%20Internet

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 6, 2020 Views 26,025 Applies to: