Folders open in new window despite folder option says: open in the same window)

Hi ,

i use windows 7 ultimate x86.
there this problem appeared suddenly.

When i doubleclick on a folder in an explorer windows, it does not open in the same window as it did before,

but it opens a new window.
when i click through a directory tree i suddenly have 7 or 8 open windows, which i dont want.
i want the old behaviour back (every folder is opened in the same window) !

now i know that under folder options there is such an option : "open in the same window" or "open in a new

window"

the strange thing : it still stands on "open in the same window".

i assume any program changed this behaviour, only i dont know which and when and how.

when i change this option from "open in same window" to "open in new window", it has no effect !
to be true : it has an effect when i right click on the folder to open and choose "open" from the
right-click menu. here this option has the effect to either open a new window or not.

ONLY this effect DOES NOT appear when i double click the folder i want to open.

until yesterday, it behaved ok and opened in the same window. but now, whatever i do, a new window is

opened.

the folder option, though, has only effect on "right click and open" actions, but not on left double click

actions.

i checked my mouse options, but there is also nothing to see.

my question now : how can i get the normal old behaviopur back : when i double left click on the folder i

want to open,l it should open in the same windows (and NOT open a new window).

where do i find this option (while the standard option has no effect, this option only has an effect when

right click and open is chosen).

how can i get the "open in the same windows" option back also whern i double click the new folder to open ?

thank you.

best regards from germany,

Martin

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2020 Views 103,542 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello ,

no, it wasn't what you all suggested.

Instead, i found the solution now, and please remeber it, because i suppose you will see it again !

I had, beside the "folders open in new windows when doubleclicked despite folder options say same window" problem, two others, one was that Internet Explorer wouldnt start at all anymore (which wasnt too bad for me since i use Firefox as browser anyway) and then the printer folder in control panel would not contain anything, it was an empty folder, just a blank folder (though i had printers installed).

All three problems were connected, and the solution was simple, but hard to find (for me).

I found it here :

http://www.davidmoore.info/2009/08/19/solution-explorer-open-each-folder-in-same-window-error-and-sql-management-studio-ie-and-team-explorer-errors/

the solution is to create the follwing .cmd file and execute it, after execution imnmediately reboot !

-------------------------------------

@echo off

:: 32 bit and 64 bit
IF EXIST "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

:: 64 bit only (32bit on 64 bit)
IF EXIST "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll"
IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

-------------------------------------------------------

after execution and immediate reboot, all problems are gone, everything is ok again.

please note the different path under windows 7 x64 (ProgramFilesx86), therefor the x64 part.

You must use regsvr32 to re-register the two proxy DLLs (actxprxy.dll and ieprxy.dll), thenreboot

You can use the upper batch file (.cmd file) to do this.

You must run this batch file with administrative privileges (right click on the file and chooseRun as administrato r)

David from Davids Blog (see link above) explained it like this :

Problem(s):
  • When attempting to open a folder in Windows Explorer , the folder opens in a new window, even if “Open each folder in the same window ” is selected in Folder Options.
  • Some links in Internet Explorer don’t open correctly
  • Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio : An error with a message like “Unable to cast COM object of type ‘System.__ComObject’ to interface type ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IServiceProvider’ . This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID ‘{6D5140C1-7436-11CE-8034-00AA006009FA}’ failed due to the following error:No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0×80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)). (Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop)
  • Visual Studio Team Explorer : When browsing using the Team Explorer window, you may get COM errors similar to those in the SQL Management Studio error above
Explanation:

I’m not sure of the exact details, but this is what I think I’ve found. Perhaps someone at Microsoft would correct or elaborate on this.

Previously, actxprxy.dll (ActiveX Interface Marshaling Library) was used as the proxy for a multitude of system interfaces, such as IShellFolder and IServiceProvider.

In Windows 7 (and probably Vista also), the GUID of this library has changed from{B8DA6310-E19B-11D0-933C-00A0C90DCAA9} to {C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}

Secondly, there is also a new Proxy/Stub provider found in ieproxy.dll of Internet Explorer (IE ActiveX Interface Marshaling Library). Some interfaces that previously used actxprxy.dll are now registered to use ieproxy.dll.

Now various problematic software (such as Vault 3.x) will try to register against actxproxy using the old GUID, and for interfaces now proxied by ieproxy.dll.

Please read the source yourself (link above) for more details.

It helped me a lot, because noone could really help me, not even here, and i received partially weird

hints of which none helped at all.

only the above batch file helped it.

this will re-appear, so keep that batch file, you will need it from time to time.

thank you,

regards from germany,

Martin

38 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.