Folder Sizes in the detail view. What motive does Microsoft have for not displaying a list of Folder Sizes in the detail view? I don't want to post this in feedback......

What motive does Microsoft have for not displaying a list of Folder Sizes in the detail view?  I simply want see my folders in list view and know how big each folder is!  Is that to much to ask?  Are you (MS) in cahoots with the makers of  folder size software so they can sell me something that should simply be in the details view? Is it because it might slow down my "Windows experience" which ain't so great anyhow.

I don't care what MS has to say.  This is not a plea (or tip) for them to fix this.I just wanna know why they have avoided millions ( 5,180,000 results according to Google) of requests for this feature  Microsoft Users:  Why do you think Microsoft has purposely chosen to omit a view "folder size" column in Window?

Greg

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2019 Views 15,238 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Greg

This would be easier to answer if it was something new?

Windows has never had the ability to display folder sizes, as far as I'm aware. The only logical reason would be that it is about speed. This would be even more important today where multi-gigabyte folders are more common. These folders can be slow for the OS to enumerate, depending on the typical size of the files they contain.

You can simply hover the cursor over a folder and see the size in the popup description.

Or, like you said, there are third party utilities many of which are free.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Why doesn't Explorer show recursive directory size as an optional column?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/10/29/5750353.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.