File in "Recent Lists" with Chinese Text.

I'm getting a file in "Recent Items" list that's named with what I think is Chinese text. It says the location of the file is my desktop but there is nothing on there and it claims under "properties" that the specified target box is not vaid. There is no indication of a specific file type or anything like that. Should I be concerned? By the way, this is not the first time I have seen this. What could it be?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Were there any changes (hardware or software) made to the computer prior to the issue?

Performing a malware scan with Microsoft Safety scanner may resolve the issue of unreadable text.

Method 1: Clear the recent lists and see if that unreadable text disappears.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/clear-lists-on-the-start-menu-and-taskbar

Method 2: Run the Microsoft Safety Scanner in full scan mode, and remove all the threats that get detected by it and see if the issue persists.

Microsoft Safety Scanner

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.

Please take a backup of all the data to an external hard disk before performing a scan as it could result in data loss.

Have a Nice Day!

Please reply if you have any questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello - I apologize for the really late response. I saw this in my inbox so I thought I'd write back. Off and on this still occurs where I end up seeing this "dummy file" I will call it with Chinese text. In fact, I'm seeing it tonight as I write this. It does go away when I clear the "Recent Items" list and once other documents get stored in there, it doesn't always appear just certain times. I have done numerous scans using both the Microsoft Security Scanner and others, none of which have detected any malware, spyware, etc..

The only recent change in hardware that I made I think in mid to late May? Was a new graphics card. No other new software/or hardware has been added to my computer.

I thank you for your continuing support in resolving this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Create a new user account and check if the issue persists, if the Issue does not persist in new user account then you can fix the corrupted user account.

Create a user account

Fix a corrupted user profile

Have a Nice Day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Create a new user account and check if the issue persists, if the Issue does not persist in new user account then you can fix the corrupted user account.

Create a user account

Fix a corrupted user profile

Have a Nice Day!

Ok, it is now a few months later. I finally got around to making a new user profile and all was well for a while. Now, it has come back. For the sake of curiosity, I turned to the Google Translate website and copied the "file name" of this file. By the way, it claims the location of this file is on my desktop. Nope, it is not.

So I guess the next step is maybe to fix a corrupted user profile? But is it really a user profile issue now since this has come up even on a fairly new user profile I made?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Thanks. Next time it shows, I'll use these steps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 5,197 Applies to: