Question

Q: Error message: "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder" This thread is locked from future replies

I am moving files from internal hard drive to external drive using cut/paste.  I get a message "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder.  You can shorten the file name and try again or try a location with a shorter path."  I am then given choice to skip or cancel.  What happens to files that are skipped?  Are they deleted?  I don't want to lose any data, but there are over 2,000 files  with this problem, so going through and renaming each is really not a workable solution.  I don't really understand how the file names were created/saved initially withhout a problem, which only shows up now that I want to move them.  Both source and destination drives are NTFS.  Is there a workaround for this?  It is imperative that no data is lost.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Answer

A:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:16:23 +0000, MADinIowa wrote:

I am moving files from internal hard drive to external drive using cut/paste.  I get a message "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder.  You can shorten the file name and try again or try a location with a shorter path."  I am then given choice to skip or cancel.  What happens to files that are skipped?  Are they deleted? 

No. To verify that what I am saying is correct, create a new folder
for trial purposes and put a copy of a few files there. Make sure that
just one of them has a long name (rename as needed), and try copying
these files to the external drive. When you get the message, choose
"skip" and see what happens.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

46 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 105,014 Last updated: April 21, 2018 Applies to: