Error message: "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder"

I am moving files from internal hard drive to external drive using cut/paste.  I get a message "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder.  You can shorten the file name and try again or try a location with a shorter path."  I am then given choice to skip or cancel.  What happens to files that are skipped?  Are they deleted?  I don't want to lose any data, but there are over 2,000 files  with this problem, so going through and renaming each is really not a workable solution.  I don't really understand how the file names were created/saved initially withhout a problem, which only shows up now that I want to move them.  Both source and destination drives are NTFS.  Is there a workaround for this?  It is imperative that no data is lost.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2018 Views 111,061 Applies to:
Answer

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:16:23 +0000, MADinIowa wrote:

I am moving files from internal hard drive to external drive using cut/paste.  I get a message "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder.  You can shorten the file name and try again or try a location with a shorter path."  I am then given choice to skip or cancel.  What happens to files that are skipped?  Are they deleted? 

No. To verify that what I am saying is correct, create a new folder
for trial purposes and put a copy of a few files there. Make sure that
just one of them has a long name (rename as needed), and try copying
these files to the external drive. When you get the message, choose
"skip" and see what happens.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.