Question

Q: Entire contents of "My Documents" folder are missing - can I recover them?

Hi..I have lost all the files (about 20 GB of them) in My Documents folder on Desktop (Windows 7) a few days back. Other folders are quite alright eg. my Outlook data files, My Pictures, My Music etc. One of the potential causes could be that I synced my Windows phone (Win 6.5) and I realized (I don't know how) my sync settings got changed to replace items on desktop. Am technologically challenged - so can someone please guide me if I have chances of recovering the files and if so, how do I do it? I will be indebted to that person for saving god knows how many days of my work! Please don't ask me why I don't have a back up of all those files stored separately in a safe place, if the files are important. I will save the story for some other day.

Answer

A:

Click the start button and click on your user name listed near the top,

If the my documents folder is listed here,

Massive resetting of the hidden attributes can be done by right clicking the (my documents) listing on the folder tree, and select properties, general tab section, check the hidden box and click on apply, this will change all of the files to hidden, click yes, then uncheck the hidden box and apply, it will remove the hidden attribute from all of your files, click on yes, then save.

This work for my pictures.......

Also if you right click the main libraries listing on the folders tree, and select restore default libraries.

Look at the top of the folders tree and right click the favorites listing, and select restore default favorites links.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 1,833 Last updated: June 11, 2018 Applies to: