Downloads folder (windows 7)

When I download a file, it is saved to my "downloads" folder. When I need to access the file, what I see in the Downloads folder depends on the path I take. For instance, if I begin at the "start" button, then select my user account, then the downloads folder, I get a certain combination of files and folders showing in the window. The bar at the top of the window shows start>mike>downloads. If I begin with the Start button but select "computer", C drive, users, mike, downloads, then the bar at the top shows boot(C:)>users>mike>downloads, and the contents of the folder are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. All the contents of both these "downloads" folders are recognisable to me as stuff that I have downloaded at some time, and mine is the only user account on this computer. To further confuse matters, after a download, if I click on "show all downloads" in the bottom right corner, then "open downloads folder" at top right, I get a window showing the contents of the first example above, but the filepath of the second. Can anyone explain what is going on? (By the way, I began with home computers in the days of DOS, before Windows, when a folder was a folder, and lived in one place, and had predictable contents, and could be found by working your way down the tree. Call me old fashioned.)

Select the keyboard shortcut WIN+E to open Windows Explorer. Access Downloads, by clicking Downloads, which is a sub-folder of Favourites. Please see image below.

You can pin Windows Explorer to your Taskbar. Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Windows Explorer and select Pin to Taskbar. Open the Downloads folder, right click the Windows Explorer icon on the Taskbar, right click Downloads and click Pin to this list. The next time you need quick access to your Downloads folder you simply right click the Windows Explorer icon on your Taskbar and click Downloads.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 3,240 Applies to: