Deleted Video files, recovered but will not play on WMP? missing codecs (.3GP) Help!

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and I need some help please. 

I accidentally deleted video files and somehow bypassed the recycle bin. I used a restoration tool on the web and recovered the video files – mainly 3GP files. 

The problem I have is that some files are fine and will play in WMP but others will not and I am getting the following error message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Can anyone help me? I've tried to download codec’s from various sites but no look to date.

Thanks in advance for your help

DUBRED

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2018 Views 5,056 Applies to:
Answer

Hi LVTravel

thanks for your reply. I used REST2514 to recover the files. the majority of the files are fine with the exception of some old(+12 months) video files off my cell.

Is there anyway to fix the corrupted files? 

Rgs

DUBRED.

Probably not in any way that you could afford.  If those file parts have been overwritten they can be recovered but not by any commercially available program (we are talking about CIA recovery methods here.) Extremely expensive.  Consider the files gone.  That is why you should always keep backups of all files, off computer even if you delete them on the computer.  DVD & CDs are cheap sources of backup media. 

I can possibly see why the older files were overwritten first when deleted.  They would have been in the "earlier" part of the hard drive as more data is added and when opened up would have probably been the first to be overwritten.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.