Copy list of files from Windows explorer as text into an application...

Will windows ever add a menu item or something, to copy list of files from Windows explorer as text into an application?  I would run a DOS command (dir /s c: >c-example.txt) like I have done years ago, but as I'm sure your aware, MS DOS command line has'nt been availible for years and your Windows Virtualization is incompatible with my new computer.... Any solutions would be grately appreciated.

Thanks'
Dave

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2018 Views 140,628 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dave,

Have I got good news for you:

There are a couple of ways to do what you want:

The first is the most straightforward, and is already in Windows 7 (and Vista for that matter):

1.  Highlight one or more files for which you'd like to know the path in Explorer.
2.  Hold down the shift key, and right-click any of the highlighted files. 
3.  When the context menu pops up, left click on the Copy As Path entry that has magically appeared because you're holding the shift key down.

A slightly better method, IMO, though it takes a little extra work is to add an extension to the Send To menu to allow you to right-click on a file or files and choose Send To -> Clipboard (as Name).  To me this somehow seems more convenient, as I got used to the PowerToys way back when.  One such extension, that also adds a nice control panel applet to help you manage the Send To menu, is a neat little freeware package called Send To Toys, by Gabriele Ponti, which can be downloaded from here: 

http://www.gabrieleponti.com/software/index.html#sendtotoys

A nice feature of the Send To Toys program is that you can even have it put quotes around any file path that contains blanks.  Handy indeed!

Hope this helps!

-Noel

P.S., A DOS-like command line tool is still (and has always been) available.  In the Start menu choose:  Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.  Or you can just run:  CMD.exe

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Hi Dave

In addition to the excellent advice from Noel, you can also add a Print Directory to the right click context menu.

How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP, in Windows Vista, or in Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.